Knock Lock

Hello,

I have a planned project coming up and I am intending to use the Knock Lock, from the Aduino Start Kit porjects book, however what I want to know is, can I adapt the code s othat it responds to a particular sound rather than a knock pattern?

Specifically if I have an mp3 can I make it so that when that mp3 sound is played the lock will open?

Thanks

I don't think so. Arduino isn't very good at audio processing. Maybe if the mp3 had a really hard beat and the beat changed then it could work just like the knock. But arduino wouldn't be able, for example, to tell one song from another.

Probably the closest you could go would be simple voice recognition, using something like "EasyVR". Then the sound could either be 'voiced', or played from an MP3 file. As Delta_G says, not music though.

I think what you want to do is easy with any Arduino. I designed a system with an electret mic (check spark fun or adafruit), fed to a comparator to convert the audio signal to square waves. I fed the square waves to an external interrupt, counted how long it took to get 100 square waves, then determined the frequency of the sound. If it isn't a frequency of interest, just reset and start counting again.

This process allows me to control a system by whistling various tones, and it works very well.

I admit that's not much detail, but the thrill of Arduino-Land is working out the details.

I think what you want to do is easy with any Arduino. I designed a system with an electret mic (check spark fun or adafruit), fed to a comparator to convert the audio signal to square waves. I fed the square waves to an external interrupt, counted how long it took to get 100 square waves, then determined the frequency of the sound. If it isn't a frequency of interest, just reset and start counting again.

This process allows me to control a system by whistling various tones, and it works very well.

I admit that's not much detail, but the thrill of Arduino-Land is working out the details.

Oops!

jrdoner:
Oops!

Use "More --> Remove" to remove the duplicate - and the "Oops".

Thanks.
I have found a project that uses Arduino Frequency Detection (http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Frequency-Detection/) and the sound I wish to use is that of a Doctor Who sonic screwdriver. So it is a fairly simple audio. Assuming that the mp3 file I have gives out a specific frequency could I amend the Knock Lock coding to incorporate the frequency detection so that it will open?