L293D Motor driver problem: 5v on external power input

Hi.

I am using an Arduino Uno together with a L293D motor driver to power 3 tiny motors.
The problem is that when I connect it with the PC via the usb cable I get 5v on the external power pins. I removed the VIN jumper as instructed.

Is it normal behaviour?

It annoys me because I have a 12v led switch to power the PSU that feeds the external power of the L293D and it is always lit by USB power.

If it is normal behaviour... how can I stop the 'backwards' power?

Thanks

Regards,
Mike

Please create a wiring diagram and post it. The word sallad type is not precise enough.

Yes, the L293D will phantom power from the logic supply if the motor supply is missing - this is not an intended mode of operation and you should avoid doing this. I believe the chips designers expected the 5V logic supply to be derived from the motor supply rail, or at least to some from a common power source.

If your motor supply is 12V it could stay connected to Vin during programming as the Arduino Uno auto-selects its 5V supply I think.

Instructed by what/who?

There is no need for wiring diagram: Arduino Uno with L293D connected has 5v on the external power connector. Nothing connected.

MarkT: so it is a normal behaviour?

As I said the chip phantom powers the motor supply from the logic supply - you are not supposed to do this (as with any phantom-power situation). If it tries to drive a motor in this state you risk the logic supply dropping out, and maybe the chip internals even.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.