L293DNE Hbrdge

i have problems whith this ic. No matter how much i try i cannot make a simple circuit! i think i burn it by connecting wrong the voltage! any suggestions?

(deleted)

Smoke is part of the learning curve. I had one of those chips (actually 754410 - same pin out) "literally" catch fire once. I've had chips smoke before, and MOSFETs that got so hot that the solder that holds the die to the heatsink melted into a silvery fluid, but only had the one chip where flames actually came out.

Actually, those chips are cheap, so try again.

read the data sheet. connect the proper lines to the proper pins. not much more anyone can offer. read the data sheet twice before applying power.

oric_dan: Smoke is part of the learning curve. I had one of those chips (actually 754410 - same pin out) "literally" catch fire once. I've had chips smoke before, and MOSFETs that got so hot that the solder that holds the die to the heatsink melted into a silvery fluid, but only had the one chip where flames actually came out.

Actually, those chips are cheap, so try again.

were you trying to burn in your program ?

I forget the exact details, but I think there may have been a short to ground on one of the output pins. The chips are made to drive a goodly amount of current, and of course, I wasn't using a fuse in the power line.

oric_dan:
I forget the exact details, but I think there may have been a short to ground on one of the output pins.

So 4 pins out of 16 isn’t enough grounding for you then?

Foo, what a darn world when you have to genuflect repeatedly for making dumb mistakes, :-). Like being in politics. Actually, I was using the 754410 to drive a higher current set of MOSFETS, and the whole thing was an experimental test kludge, so any number of things could have happened. But all in all, I'm the only person I know who actually got real flames to come out of a chip. Then afterwards, the plastic casing on the end of the chip fell off.