L298 motor control circuit unusual behavior

hi im new to motor control using L298N chip. i find it odd to controlling it using PWM for speed contol. the DIR LED both FWD and REV lit up when it runs but the motors runs perfectly well.. but if im not injecting PWM on the ENABLE pin the DIR LED lit up one at a time during their respective direction.

Question is- Is this a normal behavior? aside from unusual LED behavior i found nothing else is wrong. the chip is not heating up above normal temp. the motor runs smoothly, i even tried to run the motor for an hour and i cant find anything wrong with it.. just this LED thing that is bothering me. Im afraid this might shortens the L298 life if its not a normal thing.

Please help me im lost at this stage.

I have attached the schematics and some snips of my actual circuit board.

EN PIN always on

PWM injected on EN pin |500x356

Schematics |500x295

What is a “DIR LED”?

Study the output truth table in the L298 data sheet. For certain inputs, both outputs are high.

sorry i forgot to name it correctly… DIR LED means direction LED.
no sir im pretty sure that the output is not ON at the same time.
i tried disconnecting the motor and the LED lit up one at a time… i was thinking maybe its the feedback from the motor that cause the other led to lights up

somebody please help

tatzmenot: hi im new to motor control using L298N chip. i find it odd to controlling it using PWM for speed contol. the DIR LED both FWD and REV lit up when it runs but the motors runs perfectly well.. but if im not injecting PWM on the ENABLE pin the DIR LED lit up one at a time during their respective direction.

Yes, perfectly normal.

Perhaps you meant to ask why this happens?

MarkT: Yes, perfectly normal.

Perhaps you meant to ask why this happens?

Yes sir, can you explain why this happens..

can you explain why this happens..

See reply #1.

jremington:
See reply #1.

yes sir i am pretty sure that i set the right inputs. and i dont have a break function if i want the motor to stop i set all input to low…