L298N Dual H-Bridge Motor Controller

I have been searching for a while but i cannot figure this one out.
tought an H bridge would be "beefier" (sorry for my vegan friends) so went ahead and bought this module with a Nema 17 stepper.

• I connected a stepper motor to A and B output,
  • left the 5 volt and both enables jumper in place,
  • connected the IN1-4 to arduino 8-11,
  • feed the arduino with the bridge 5 V source,
  • loaded the arduino "one turn" (200 pulse) stepper sample routine.

Runs like a charm for about 4-5 minutes then thermal protection kicks in?? motor becomes noisy/erratic, motor temperature get around 45 deg C

infrared thermometer confirms the L298N heat sink at around 100 deg C

I am running the power supply at 7 volts supply peaks at around 2.8 amps but runs at around 1.8

Any idea anyone?

Could try a higher voltage power supply.... like 12V.

Or try a drv8825 stepper driver..... cheap.... efficient.... easy to use....and a manually settable current limit.

If overheat of the L298N is the issue.....then see what happens if you add a small cooling fan on the heatsink.

You haven't given any details on the stepper motor. If its a low impedance motor you won't have joy trying
to drive it from anything but a proper current-controlling stepper driver.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Nema 17 stepper.

Tells us its shape, not its electrical characteristics.
Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?
Especially how you are supplying power to the arduino and the stepper.

I can't quire understand how you are providing power to the stepper, hopefully not from the 5V on the arduino.
If it is all from your PC then it will fail due to current overload.

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

Been using one of these with a 2 amp NEMA 17 and AccelStepper library for a few weeks and seems to work very well using an old 15V laptop PS.

Hi,
Have you measured the input volts from the power supply when it goes into fault mode.
What are the spec of the power supply, I doubt if laptop supplies are good enough to drive stepper motors.

Have you set the current limit on the control board?

What is the stepper specs, ie , voltage, current, coil rating, its part number?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile: