l298n pwm output vs real output

Hey folks,
I am using a l298n to drive a motor.
I have set the pwm frequency to 62.5kHz, so the noise is not hearable anymore. I also measure the voltage comming out of the l298n. As I increase the pwm, the real voltage comming from the drive increases as well, but up to pwm of 120 the voltage from the drive doesnt exceed 400mA. Then as soon as the motor begins to rotate it jumps to around 2 volts.
Is the l298n not linear to the pwm input?
When I decrease to pwm frequency (244 Hz) the jumping point of the voltage comming from the drive will start earlier, around value 70 of pwm.
How is that?

Thanks

Well the L298 specification says that the maximum frequency is 40KHz so that probably has something to do with it. If you run it too fast with short pulses the switching time doesn’t allow the circuit ever to fully switch on.

It doesn’t help understanding what you are asking when you keep switching between mA and Volts. Voltage can’t jump from 400mA to 2V, that doesn’t make any sense.

Steve

The L298 is an ancient, very inefficient motor driver. Your projects will work better, and you will have more fun with a modern motor driver, like these from Pololu.

Hey,
slipstick you are right sorry, I meant 400mV. Thanks for the link jremington, I will check it out.

jremington:
The L298 is an ancient, very inefficient motor driver.

What 2017s good motor driver?

What 2017s good motor driver?

Follw the link in reply #2.