Labeled stackable pin headers

I know the question about those stackable pin headers has been asked quite some time. I know they can be purchased from adafruit, sparkfun, etc. or if you phone or search long enough also from large distributors (RS, farnell, mouser, ...)

But I wonder whether those labeled stackable pin headers can be bought somewhere. Those which are mounted to the most recent "original" Arduino Uno rev3. I mean those:

If you type "Arduino Uno rev3" into google-images you can see that most of the (original?) Arduinos do not even have those. Maybe it is just a very recent fabrication run which features those labeled connectors - becaming possible because of the huge amount of Arduinos being sold.

So does anyone know if I could buy those for any shields I am making?

Do you have a photo of the opposite side please ?

I have made enquiries about these as a would like a few myself.

MOQ is likely to be thousands however , waiting to hear.

A cheaper solution may be stick on labels,

You can make your own in: Word, AutoCAD etc.
Print them on a gummed label, then cut them out and attach.
Should be able to get 40+ on an 8 1/2 by 11 page.

Maybe make a PDF, then share them with the community.

LarryD:
Maybe make a PDF, then share them with the community.

Surprised (if) Pighixxx has not beaten you to it!

Yeah - these are definitely a custom made part especially for the Arduino Uno Rev 3 - probably also part of the way to act as an identifier of an actual Arduino, vs a clone or counterfeit (mostly the latter) being sold as "the real thing". So - you're likely not going to be able to purchase them yourself.

Besides using a label - I can think of another way to make these - it wouldn't be cheap or easy, but it would be much cheaper than going to a manufacturer to have 10K of them custom made:

Basically, get the standard headers, then make a jig for them to hold them in a fixed orientation and position (flat on the jig - so that the side for the labels faces up). Make the jig have right-angle edges.

Then - stick the headers onto the jig, and place it at the 0,0 position of a laser cutter/etcher (that's where the $$$ are).

Now - this assumes you have already made the vector etching file for the machine using Inkscape or something - that would draw out the labels on the headers - but basically, you etch the labels on the headers. If don't right, with the proper power settings and such, they should be deep enough to read, but not so deep as to burn through and ruin the header.

A bit of white acrylic paint (or ink) wiped over the etched surfaces would probably make the lettering stand out better - but even the regular etched surface would probably look pretty nice under good light.

cr0sh:
Yeah - these are definitely a custom made part especially for the Arduino Uno Rev 3 - probably also part of the way to act as an identifier of an actual Arduino, vs a clone or counterfeit (mostly the latter) being sold as "the real thing". So - you're likely not going to be able to purchase them yourself.

They appear to be exclusive to a particular (German) manufacturer.

Even then they are not the stackable type which i require.

cr0sh:
Besides using a label - I can think of another way to make these - it wouldn't be cheap or easy, but it would be much cheaper than going to a manufacturer to have 10K of them custom made:

Basically, get the standard headers, then make a jig for them to hold them in a fixed orientation and position (flat on the jig - so that the side for the labels faces up). Make the jig have right-angle edges.

I was thinking of using a hot foil machine.

I reckon that 300 would get me the tooling with the option of plates for other custom work costing about 15 per pop.

If you wanted to do this yourself you could head to your nearest art store and buy a screen printing system. The only difference here is that instead of printing on a T-shirt you'd need to build a jig to hold your headers. You would need to hunt around for the right ink though :confused:

I'm sure you can find lots of mom and pop screenprinting shops in any city. A visit to one would probably net you all the answers you needed. This type of printing is done on coroplast (for political signs, etc.) so shouldn't be a problem on plastic headers.

Chagrin:
would need to hunt around for the right ink though :confused:

Printing on polyethylene / nylon is not easy.

Mom and pop printers do not have the required equipment.

Itried some time ago when i wanted a cable assembly labelled A,B,C.

The ink quickly flakes off.

Coroplast (polypropylene) is easier but still requires pretreatment with corona discharge to modify surface energy.

Edit

And screen printing fabrics are made o polpropylene ......