Landing System

Hi all,

I am currently working on a school project. The project involves launching a can weighing 300 grams from a drone. The main task of this project is to collect temperature and pressure data which I have done. We have to come up with a secondary mission.

What I was thinking of, was a landing system for the can. Once it is dropped, fins are deployed that control the descent. Right before landing, four legs are deployed that will act as landing gear. I want it to land at a specific area or place.

My question is, that is this possible? Maybe the fins are deployed once the temperature or the pressure starts rising? I was also looking at an IR Laser mounted on the landing pad and an IR Laser Receiver mounted on the can. Maybe the IR Laser can tell where the landing pad is and move motors that control the fins in the specified direction?

This is my first project with the Arduino so I would appreciate some help and tips.

Thanks,

dennis-iss:
Once it is dropped, fins are deployed that control the descent. Right before landing, four legs are deployed that will act as landing gear. I want it to land at a specific area or place.

All from a tin Can !!

Think Nasa would be more help..... :smiley: :smiley:

Model rockets mostly use parachutes but some slow descent by making the rocket tumble down.

Have you ever seen a maple seed spin down? Only problem is that would be hard to control, a parachute might be easier if the can can pull on the lines.. and know what direction to go and if it is spinning and a few other details like wind and height for starts.

300 grams needs a good size chute. Can the data collector be an RC glider?

How high will the can be when it is released and how long is the duration of the fall?

...R

Hi,

Thanks all for your replies. It will be dropped from an altitude of 400m and will fall for around 10 seconds with a parachute and 5 seconds without.

dennis-iss:
and will fall for around 10 seconds with a parachute and 5 seconds without.

Which part comes first?

...R

Dont know which country you are in but many have a max height for model aircraft, 400 metres being way to high for most.

bluejets:
Dont know which country you are in but many have a max height for model aircraft, 400 metres being way to high for most.

Exactly especially drones.
Tom.... :slight_smile: