Language Reference is really thin

Is there any other place I can find better Arduino programming language reference ?

The examples on “Reference” are really reduced to nothing more than illustrating the simplest and easiest use of a command.

I wish I could find some more complex and alternative use of the commands, involved in all kind of situations.
I am a beginner in programming and I really don’t have any will or the brain power, for that matter, to reinvent the wheel on how some commands could be used.
Plus, I don’t want to be a programmer, not interested. It’s just something I have to do for my project. Hope you get my pov.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

bspin: Hope you get my pov.

Nope. You either want to learn, or you don't.

Arduino sketches are essentially C++ programs. Most people stick to a pretty straightforward C programming style, as many C++ features can be memory hungry.

There are dozens of C and C++ tutorials and references that Google will find you. Here's the first hit I found: http://www.cprogramming.com/

There are dozens of examples at all different levels of complexity for Arduino in the Playground and sources like LadyAda and many others.

I have done most of my language learning through sample codes and keeping up with what other people are doing. Plus all the tutorials are out there for a reason, they will show you how to use the code. When I need to learn how to do something I turn to other projects that have similar goals. Plus I download all the libraries and examples I think may be helpful and refer to their sketches to build my own.

bspin: Is there any other place I can find better Arduino programming language reference ?

I don't want to be a programmer, not interested.

So you want a programming reference written for people who aren't interested in programming? Not sure how you would produce one of them.

I guess checking some other's people code, trying to learn from that it will be my best bet, and the best suggestion.

Programming is just a bust stop for me. What I need to do requires some of it. Don't want to be sidetracked into it. Need to stay focused on the big picture.

Of course there are tons of examples of programming for C++. If I have to transfer them though to the Arduino environment, if they are purely theoretical examples, again, I have a problem: will be learning more programming than I would like too. It's not that I am lazy. It's not that I don't want to learn. I've learned a lot since I've started my Arduino projects. I am just trying to keep a good balance between doing my project and all the other things that need to be done to achieve it. While there are things that need/have to be done, if I can trim them down, I get to finish my project faster. Finishing is paramount.

There are of course people that are doing programming, electronics, robotics for years, as their day jobs or maybe as their passion or as a hobby. I'm neither one of those. I do like it and I did it for a little while ( electronics, programming ) but it doesn't quite amount to make it into a hobby for me. Once my project will be done, electronics and programming will be out of my life for years maybe or till "next time".

That's why I think that more examples will probably be of help in my situation. And I can't see how it will hurt having more. It won't hurt the savvy ones, it won't hurt the beginners either which will have a more comprehensive easing in.

Thanks !

bspin: I wish I could find some more complex and alternative use of the commands, involved in all kind of situations.

Hmmm. Well it's hard to meet the requirement of "complex" and "all kind of situations" for someone who is "not interested".

It's like going to a flying school and saying you want to learn to loop the loop, but aren't interested in flying.

Perhaps if you were to state your requirements a little more specifically? Like, the particular project? If you said something like "I have a project where I have to light some LEDs if a switch is pressed" then we can probably direct you to some examples of that.

Hello bspin,

I see you found the beginners section and maybe didn't follow all the links. Did you try this one? It's a bit more involved so hold your breath and pinch your nose: http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/index.html

If you want more doc, I can find you plenty but it will be on C/C++ since that reference has all the specific to Arduino/AVR C/C++ you will ever need. Oh... wait... you don't want to know.

I dunno what your project is, or what it's for, or why, but I don't want to care, you know how that is?

Some people do projects for school and they get hints here and some help but they need to earn their grades/degrees before they can shake them at other people in the real world or they're jokes and I've seen too many of those to want to help another fake his way up the ladder.

Others are businessmen (and women) who will screw anyone any way they can for a buck. They never want to put in time and they never want to pay what anything is worth. They may not even know that's what they're about from the way they sometimes act but see the smile when they realize they got over and know they're never ever going to make things right. PT "Never give a sucker an even break." Barnum was one of them. Compared to some I knew, he was like Santa Claus.

Of course there are decent business-people who actually -do- pay to get things done. I've even done work for a few. But they are few and far between.

And then there's hobbyists. They do it for the love of some aspect, the interest, and don't get hung up on deadlines. Other hobbyists like to help them because they're like members of the same club. A lucky hobbyist occasionally manages to get paid to do what he or she likes so much and then you have a dedicated professional as opposed to the 9-5 clock-watchers only in it for the money.

Do you fit in there anywhere or are you a whole new category? Know what I mean? Just POV, hey?

I (partially) get the joke GoForSmoke ! Now how do I answer this without making it into a larger polemic that it already is ?

My original question/demand was: more reference, more examples specifically in Arduino environment. I didn't say do my project, fix my code, program this for me or anything near. I asked for more detailed reference. I intently avoided giving details about my project because I don't want anybody doing it for me. I am not a panhandler. It's not a secret either. The best suggestion that I got was to check what others have done. Appreciate that. Will follow.

As you can see I only have about 13 posts. Guess what the other half are about ? (they can be listed ). It's a stupid motorized Lazy Susan for Object VR photography. It is available commercially already but just to expensive for my budget. Will I be making money of this project? Sure hope so, by selling object VR photography. Will I be able to sell it as a product by itself ? Theoretically yes. If, if, if .. x 1000. But I won't be holding my breath for it. As I said .. there are some models available out there. And I am sure for some of the people here it is a really easy project to do. If anybody feels like doing it .. be my guest. BTW do some market research for it to see if there is any demand first. I think there isn't really. I didn't do any research. I just want one working for me. One model that I've seen in the past is been discontinued. Guess there wasn't too much demand.

I kind of jumped in this project. It is way more complex than I expected and it is my problem. I will find info and fix it. I know that many of the people here spend moths researching, and come with years of expertise, learned through very hard work. I totally acknowledge that, respect it. Pay for it ? This project is not there yet. Will not ask specific questions till I get the my code working at least 80% or I've really run out of ideas to fix it. I will show first that I've put in a real effort to make it work. Then ask for help. Will do the same for any other aspect of it. At this point I don't dare asking for specific help. My code is so lame. It is at about 3%, if.

Sorry for sounding like I want a quick in and out of this. I still don't want to get my hands too "dirty". Again, I asked for reference. I guess my motivation, why I felt like there is need for better reference, got me into this mess. Hope you will care too look over my posts in the future.

This is referencing something that I don't know.

PT "Never give a sucker an even break." Barnum was one of them.

Well, cheers.

motorized Lazy Susan for Object VR photography.

There’s a thread running about this exact project.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,75024.0.html

Rob

Okay bspin, you're alright. I saw you really try on the turntable deal.

No, you don't have to be a pro coder but you don't need to be with an Arduino. Working Arduino code is a small subset of full-heavy C++. Just pick up a bit here and there and after a while you can earn your 2nd class geek badge, no problem.

BTW it won't hold 100 kg but it could probably turn a turntable that -could- hold 100 kg: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-351/24-VDC-GEAR-MOTOR-W/TURNTABLE/1.html

Relatively powerful, low-current DC motor and gearbox with a 4.9" diameter plastic (nylon?) turntable with a rubber o-ring circumference that could be used to drive another wheel.

45RPM @ 24 Vdc, 60mA - operates at 12Vdc at 1/2 speed.

I'm sure it could be run at less V for lower speed but hey you could vary the speed even to zero with a turn-pot. With the right wiring I bet you could run it in either direction.

That motor could easily be driven with a ULN2803 chip which can "channel" 500 mA at up to 50V -per pin- with EMF protection built in (start and stop won't fry the chip or your PC/Arduino, you won't get that with just a transistor or two!).

And here's some scooter brakes: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/400100/Motors/Miscellaneous/1.html

Yes I know about market research and demand. Also about patents that were never built and the possibility of being held up in court because something in some way resembles what was never built or well described. As I was told, you might win in court but you'll be too broke to do anything after. The Japanese don't play that game quite so badly and that's -part- of the reason why they took over so many things. They will issue a patent on some not-large improvement of another and they get more new things. Of course the chance of them doing that to something of mine killed backing for yet another project. I know many-many ways to get burned because I've been burned many-many ways in just two decades, not counting military service!

PT Barnum was the originator of Barnum and Bailey's Circus. The Ringling Brothers got in there somewhere. I think they're still operating.

The next step up from the arduino documentation is: 1) For the arduino core and libraries, other arduino examples and tutorials, usually in the "playground" area of the web page, but also on site maintained by the authors. 2) for avr-libc functions specific to AVRs (like interrupt handling or PROGMEM), see the avr-libc documentation on http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/ and look for tutorials on avrfreaks.net 3) for library functions that overlap with the C/C++ language definitions (in particular, math functions), or language keywords, see a book or online tutorial on the C language.

And if you have specific questions, you can ask in the forums.

At this point I am happy that after a long struggle I've made some progress. Part of the story is here: http://forum.cytron.com.my/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4829&hilit=Sd02B&start=60 I finally can consistently use UART, or Pulse, Dir, Enable to control the steppers. Short story. SD02B motor shield doesn't reset to 9600bdps on reset button as the manual says. My inexperience combined with lack of info in the manual, lead me to a lot of frustration. First USB to UART converter I got wasn't working properly either. Bought it only to see if things work or not and eliminate the Arduino from the loop.

I will be developing for the next little while my "interface", the setup of a shooting cycle with a 2x16 display and at the same time work on the stepper motor routine, trigger the camera routine, then I need to combine them, and probably after that I will start with building the hardware part. Still a long way to go. Arduino is accessible to me and will continue learning this way. Later, much later, if I decide overhaul the project, I will do it "properly". With C++, with minimum necessary controller, basic display, all stripped down.

Thanks for the http://www.allelectronics.com stuff. They seem to have good prices. Will for sure have some questions in the future about my good and not so good practices in coding.

Thanks for all the help.