Lap counter and time measurement for model cars

Hello Everyone,

I am starting my first Arduino project.
my task is to develop an algorithm for the following problem:

There are visitors who can drive the model cars around the intended lane.
Visitors can try to beat a high score for a course. For this, visitors can drive three laps. The time needed should be measured using an Arduino, a display and a sensitive start/finishing line.

Thanks in advance.

For the start\finish Google "Arduino light gate".

Using millis() for to timing.

What is your question? What is your idea? We need a little bit more than just posting your assignment here. Are there multiple cars? Do we need to distinguish between them? So many questions, so few answers.

There will be only one car which is driven by multiple visitors and we need to display the best one.

My idea is to use a photoresistor to keep track of the starting and ending point of the lap and measure the time of each lap.
I am planning to do the following but I don't know how to do them.

1. how to move the car at a different speed in different laps with push-button.
    2)how to install photoresistor.
  2. How to make the connection from photoresistor to Arduino.
  3. how to display the data received in Arduino on the LCD screen.

As this is my very first project I have got very less idea about how to approach and the hardware I require for the entire set up.

My advice, especially since this is your first project: chop it up in pieces.

• First get the car moving (you need to construct this as well?)
  • Then construct a laser gate using a laser diode and a phototransistor (a photoresistor is probably too slow for your application).
  • Connect the laser gate to your arduino and get a statisfactory read-out from it
  • Add any I/O like the LCD screen

See all of these as little sub-projects. Make sure one works, then move on to the next one. You can use Google and the other forum board to figure out the individual challenges.

Thank you so much for a quick response.

Yes, I need to built the moving car and the track as well.

Then that would definitely be the point where I would start. There are many many RC car projects available, I'm sure you can find something which suits you!

apoorvamanjunath:
Yes, I need to built the moving car and the track as well.

Are you planning to make a track like the one used with Scalextric in which the cars pick up power from metal rails either side of a slot and the slot is used to steer the cars?

If not, what have you in mind?

...R

I want to build the car and a track in such a way it can complete the lap with push-button or something with different speeds. I don't have any idea in my mind right now how to do that.

apoorvamanjunath:
I want to build the car and a track in such a way it can complete the lap with push-button or something with different speeds. I don't have any idea in my mind right now how to do that.

The mechanical design of the car and track is something you need to figure out and then tell us what you have decided.

To my mind you would be better off buying a cheap slot car racing set rather than trying make the car and track.

...R