Large 7 segment LED has 2 diodes per segment, can Max7219 handle this?

Segment lights up at 5v but not too crazy bright so it seems like Max7219 can handle this on 5v supply but would that be OK and what about the resistor for RSET? It's used to set limit but it was designed around single LED per row/column. The 1.8" LED display has 2 LEDs in series between digits and common with the exception of DP it uses single diode, how would I set that resistor? I don't plan to use the DP at all so I can leave those unconnected and connect just the 7 segments.

Eventually I want to make a 24 digits long display and that would use 3 Max7219 chained, each with 8 digits max.

RSET sets current; the LEDs could have different Vf, so I wouldn't say it was for 1 LED/segment.
Try changing RSET and what value gives the brightness you want.
See Table 11 of the datasheet.

Looked at the datasheet, it only goes up to 3.5v and since 2 diodes requires more than 3.5v so I guess I'll have to experiment. I don't have DIP package of Max7219 so I'd have to figure out something.

TPIC6C595 shift register, or TPIC6B595, one per digit, would work great, if you have individual digits. No multiplexing needed, just blast out the data to all 24 digits using SPI.transfer()s when there is a change.

If you have ganged digits, like 4 in a package sharing segment lines, then you're stuck with multiplexing.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.