Large numerical LCD

Hey, Im after a largeish LCD to display numbers essentially.

A good example of what I am after is this and is similar to what I am building. Im not fussed about the battery LCD though the large numerical is a must, and a large Gfx LCD is too costly for this sort of application.

A store in Australia would be great but im not counting on it. Custom LCD's a viable option?

Cheers, Brodie J.

http://www.velocitek.com/products/SC-1

Example of the LCD ^^

What is your price range? Maybe just for numerical you could go for 7 segment led displays.

How big do you want it? Most big things are not cheap (but it depends on your budget

I came across this one on ebay a while back. It's not backlit, which is one of the reasons I haven't bought one yet, but it's very cheap compared to the new prices for such LCDs. Even with shipping to Oz.

You might also find that the custom fonts people have done for large digits on character LCDs will do what you need. There was a thread in "Exhibition" recently about this. Try a forum search like "large lcd font".

Thanks for the replies guys. The device will be out in the sun and has to be easily read, why did I think 7 seg's were thoes normally red singular modules?

Price range is eh, as cheap as possible, and will sacrifice if need be. Im probably after about 50mm digit height, and doing a 4 line largeFONT style thing isn't really ideal but might be going that way.

Cheers!

Have you thought about using 8x8 LED modules? Or how about multiple multiplexed 20 character x 4 line LCD displays turned on their side (one per character needed)?

why did I think 7 seg's were thoes normally red singular modules?

'cuz that's about all you see these days. The module I linked to was one of a very few I've seen in my entire life: almost all of the 7-segment LCDs I've ever encountered were either built into a piece of gear, or bare glass (no controller or driver chips) designed to be incorporated into something like a clock or multimeter.

50mm displays are a tall order (so to speak): the only ones I can recall seeing in that range were parts of digital clocks. And not many of those. You may be forced to go with a graphics display.

Something like the 2416 from sure? http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=142 or maybe the 0832: http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=908

Cheap and easy to control (loads of people have done it before).

Mowcius

The device will be out in the sun and has to be easily read

LEDs are out.

cr0sh had a good idea: 4x20 LCDs without backlights (not needed for visibility in sunlight) should be especially cheap on the surplus market these days.

The device will be out in the sun and has to be easily read

LEDs are out.

Umm yeah I'm sure I read that...

4x20 LCDs without backlights (not needed for visibility in sunlight)

The transreflective displays are not normally great in bright/direct sunlight and if it is not direct sunlight then bright LED matrices under a smoked cover work pretty good.

Mowcius

Thanks all for the effort in your replies...appreciated.

And I am really likeing the 20x4 on their side suggestion... There would be one single limitation, as I would need 6 screens. (3 for each side, mirrored on the other). Are you able to simply run the screens in paralell - paralell =P if that makes sense? so 3 screens will be displaying the same junk as the other 3.

You can wire all pins of all LCDs in parallel except for “E” (and probably contrast, to allow for compensation for module-to-module variations), and use either 6 separate digital outs on the Arduino, or some sort of 3-to-8 decoder chip to select which of the 6 LCDs you’re writing to.