Large solar panel 100W - which one?

I want to get 100W solar panel and don’t know what kind is best.

I am guessing monocrystalline ones have better gain.

Also is flexible panel better? It will be rather static but during winter stuff shrinks and cracks.

What do you think and advise?

Define best.

Best for outside, outdoor operation

Hi,
Forget flexible, they are a compromise.
Look around your area and see what is being used in your local weather conditions.

Ask the local installer/sparky what is being fitted.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Forget flexible, they are a compromise.
Look around your area and see what is being used in your local weather conditions.

Ask the local installer/sparky what is being fitted.

So - what is wrong with flexible?
Solar panels have a different efficiency and come with different cell sizes and density.
I just don't know what is most efficient (best) out there and if flexibility affect any part of it.

Anyone has experience with larger solar panels?

The one that has to do with Using an Arduino :grinning:

Deous:
Also is flexible panel better? It will be rather static but during winter stuff shrinks and cracks.

The solar panels used in satellites are like very thin sheets of glass and very fragile.

Yet they experience a great deal of thermal cycling, its very cold on the dark side of the Earth, and dont fail.

All you need to do is to ensure that substrate the solar cells are mounted on expands and contracts at the same rate as the solar cells themselves.

Deous:
I just don't know what is most efficient (best) out there.

The most efficient are likely the triple junction solar cells, circa 30+% efficient.

A 100W panel could be built for maybe $3000ish.

There is a lot to consider when looking for a solar panel.
When asking for a 100 watt panel, do you want a panel that is rated at 37 volt or 17 volt or do you care. What is the voltage you going to need.
Is the outside dimension importance. This is where you will look for efficiency, as efficiency go up size go down and price normally goes up. If I have space I go for low cost.
What kind of controller are you going to get PWM vs MPPT charge controllers.. This is where controller efficiency come in to play and more cost. and what wattage panels you will need in the end. I am not sure if flexible panel will hold up as well as hard frame ones and they will cost more. Check what their rating are at 10 years.
You need to understand all the above to get the best panel.

1steve:
There is a lot to consider when looking for a solar panel.

I do not care about output voltage as long as it is higher than 12V which I want to stabilize at the end.
Also I will not use PWM controller but normal good quality buck converter with solar charging circuits.
Efficiency is mostly same for modern solar panels - 10-22% but I get 100W from the panel so who cares about efficiency. They get better and better - 20% efficiency is really crazy.

Deous:
Efficiency is mostly same for modern solar panels - 10-22% but I get 100W from the panel so who cares about efficiency. They get better and better - 20% efficiency is really crazy.

Interesting, not long ago you said;

"I just don't know what is most efficient"

And;

"but I get 100W from the panel"

So you already have one ?

Efficiency rating. Because it drops after years. I am not asking how efficient single solar cell is if whole panel is rated 100W. Problem is with that power efficiency over time.

Solar panels are rated at whats called STC (standard Test conditions) which is 1000W/SqM solar irradiation and cell temperature of 25 C.
How much you get out of your solar panel depends on many things , most of which will reduce the power.
Whats the Solar panel going to power?

Efficiency rating is effectively the size of the panel.
A low efficient 100watt panel is larger than a high efficient 100watt panel.
The both produce the same power.

Solar is like a power supply. They don’t ‘give’ power, you have to ‘extract’ power.
An MPPT charger could do that more efficiently (>90%) than other technologies.
Leo…

Deous:
Efficiency rating. Because it drops after years. I am not asking how efficient single solar cell is if whole panel is rated 100W. Problem is with that power efficiency over time.

Check the warranty on the PV, BP and Siemens used to guarantee output over 10years to only drop 10%.
Check the PV Open Circuit Voltage and Short Circuit Current.
Have you googled how to choose a pv panel

Also I will not use PWM controller but normal good quality buck converter with solar charging circuits.

PWM is how good quality and efficient buck converters work.
If you want maximum conversion from your PV, MPPT control.

What is the application, home lighting, garden, agricultural, safety, security?
Tom... :slight_smile:

I need to power 5W-50W water pumps in the garden 24/7 maybe switch off for 2 hours to charge up.
I can use one 60-100W pump to do all work - it depends how well panel works

Hi,

Deous:
I need to power 5W-50W water pumps in the garden 24/7 maybe switch off for 2 hours to charge up.
I can use one 60-100W pump to do all work - it depends how well panel works

You need to do some energy auditing of your proposed system.

100W panel will not supply 100W continuous during the daylight hours, possibly 75% on average.

Your batteries are not 100% efficient, no matter what type you will use.

2 hour charge time is extremely optomistic.

Your control circuitry will consume energy as well.

My workplace has 4kW of PV, the max power we get out of them is 3.85kW and that is on a cool sunny day and the controller using MPPT.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Whats your latitude?
You need to understand the concept of sun hours.
To run pumps you need to measure or calculate the total power consumption over 24 hours,
factor in cloudy days , make allowances for summer and winter, make allowances for panel elevation, and then you will be able to figure out how big a Solar panel you will need.
You will also have to size the battery properly.