Larson Scanner With Sound Synchronization

I am trying to build a larson scanner with the “whoosh” sound ala KITT. Any ideas of how to accomplish this? Thanks

Making the LEDs pan back & forth is easy. Can make any sound you can record into an MP3, play back using simple serial command Serial.write ( 0x01 ); to a module like one of these: http://www.mdfly.com/search.php?search_query=mp3

Ok, thanks. So I could use something like a wave shield to play the sounds? How do I synchronize it withe the lights?

Jasiu:
Ok, thanks. So I could use something like a wave shield to play the sounds? How do I synchronize it with the lights?

You write it into the code. Each time you start a scan, you also trip the WAV shield to play the sound bite.

That sounds great. If I run into any problems I'll ask for help

Jasiu: Ok, thanks. So I could use something like a wave shield to play the sounds? How do I synchronize it withe the lights?

Short sound samples in 8 kHz / 8bit PCM sound quality can also be played directly from Arduino PROGMEM memory on a piezo speaker. If you don't need loud amplifying, you could play the sound directly from Arduino memory to a piezo speaker.

With "short" I mean: PROGMEM is limited to 64 KB max, an UNO has 32 KB max flash size, and 8 kHz means that 1 second of sound sample takes 8 KB code size. So if you have an UNO, leave 8 KB for the rest of the program, you could have 3 seconds of sound sampled directly embedded in your program.

8 kHz / 8bit PCM sound is not high quality, though. But if your sound loop is 3 seconds or less, you could play it also directly in low quality piezo speaker sound.

jurs: But if your sound loop is 3 seconds or less, you could play it also directly in low quality piezo speaker sound.

Actually, the sound in question could quite likely be synthesised.

(Don't ask me for details though. :roll_eyes: )