Laser drawing machine/ FadeAway

H :slight_smile:

I just found this brilliant project online and spontaneously decided I just HAVE to copy it.

In the project the guy uses a laser to "paint" on a phosphorescent plate. The laser is moved by 2 servos. One controlling left-right movement and one the up-down movement of the laser.

Now: A couple of questions:

1. He says he uses a "high presicion" Servo. A quick eBay search on that showed me servos for 70 $ which definitely is too much to spend just for this. So how precise does the servo need to be? Will a standard servo like this one here (the one from the starterkit) do the trick?

2. What kind of laser power are we looking at? Nothing too high I expect...

3. Does anyone know a good tutorial on running lasers off an arduino? I've been searching quite a bit but found none that were really good and simple... Could you just run It like an LED with an appropriate resistor (and maybe voltage regulator)

Thanks for your help!!

Consider the possible consequences. You are using a laser. You cannot afford to make mistakes in the positioning if it is fairly powerful (~100W or more). When he says "high precision" servo, he is talking about a smart servo. If you want to get a cheaper one, my recommendation is that you look at the datasheet and look for another servo with the same or very close to the same specs.

goodinventor:
Consider the possible consequences. You are using a laser. You cannot afford to make mistakes in the positioning if it is fairly powerful (~100W or more).

I don't want to cut the plate apart :smiley: just make it glow.

I have not been able to find a data sheet... What is a smart servo?

30mW blue will do the trick nicely (you really do not need more than about a third of that power).
Go to LaserPointerForum, sign up, and post your question there. You'll get a lot better advice there from the experienced members. Yes, cheaper servos will do an adequate job, if you keep distance to target low.

I noticed the guy used a "UV" laser . You could not see the beam in the dark so that gives me an upper power limit. From what power onward can you see the beam in the dark?

Also i found a laser module that seems perfect for me

Some questions do still arise to me...

1. The reason I like this module is because you can change the power of it (5-20 mw). However It does not say how to adjust the power... How do you adjust it?

2. What voltage do I use? Again the description does not say anything

3. Do I need to buy a separate lens? It looks like there's no lens on the picture, but in the description it says: "Dot pattern beam", so is there a lens or not?