Laser Engraver

I could use a little direction on my laser engraver project. So far my setup is I have the RP2 running the Arduino software which is controlling the Arduino Mega 2560 controller that has an Adafruit gShield stepper motor controller. Where I'm hanging up is with the laser and how exactly to control it. I found a 2 watt laser (link below) that i'm wanting to use. I've got the correct driver and a durable enough heat sink for this laser to run continuously. Reading other projects I keep hearing about controlling the laser by TTL which i'm not really familiar with. Or is there a way i can have the Arduino Mega send a simple enable command for when the laser needs to turn on?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFHJBDI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1162E1F5U13J4&coliid=I21X2NJ6LASMBB

Best, Travis

So you want to build a laser engraver, you need to be 3d or 2d? A simple one is to use 2x step motors and drivers, programming them with arduino and using a interface software to see your dimensions, inserting your 1:1 scale image and start engrave, of curse you need to make the software interface able to send axe data to your arduino and controlling the power of the laser depending what material you are using.

I don't see anything hard here, would be more hard if it was a 3d printer :D

D.60

Did I miss the question ?

I thought you asked about how to control the power ?

the Arduino has a natural PWM output on some of the digital pins. you can feed your laser with the voltge that is desired. then connect the ground of laser to a FET. then the FET to ground. you can control the FET with a PWM signal very easily.

this is all child's play.

Typically when people say "TTL" they just mean you use 0 to 5V logic signals to control it. In your case you're looking for a laser driver that has some sort of logic interface that is compatible with an Arduino.

dave-in-nj: you can feed your laser with the voltge that is desired. then connect the ground of laser to a FET. then the FET to ground. you can control the FET with a PWM signal very easily.

This is a 2W (and $60) laser. Just like a high power LED you need an appropriate current-limiting driver.

Chagrin: Typically when people say "TTL" they just mean you use 0 to 5V logic signals to control it. In your case you're looking for a laser driver that has some sort of logic interface that is compatible with an Arduino.

This is a 2W (and $60) laser. Just like a high power LED you need an appropriate current-limiting driver.

OP said he had the correct driver, probably this : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5CJZY4