Laser guiding vehicle set-up

I’m working on my school design project and the controls will all be managed by Arduino. My group is considering a laser guided vehicle, and I am wondering if anyone has any idea on the set up for this guidance system.

Sorry, I am relatively new to Arduino and their accessories.

piggy0853:
I'm working on my school design project and the controls will all be managed by Arduino. My group is considering a laser guided vehicle, and I am wondering if anyone has any idea on the set up for this guidance system.

Sorry, I am relatively new to Arduino and their accessories.

But you are not new to laser guided systems. Please explain what you have in mind. We can't read you mind.

Paul

Laser-levelling is a well-established use for laser guidance.

The problem for vehicle guidance is that lasers can't go around corners so "take the third exit from the traffic circle" is hard to do.

Laser-guided bombs don't follow the laser. They follow the reflection. They are more like cats chasing a laser pointer.

I am using a LIDAR (TFMini) to scan an area and converting the return pulses to an image displayed on a OLED screen. I have, also, worked out how to find the longest distance and set the center of longest distance to the center of scanning. Works pretty good. I use an ESP32 because of its small size and brute force ability on the floating point calculations. The floating point calculations come from the TFMini sitting on top of a X/Y/Z platform. The platform is held level as I plan to have the project move around. I use a library to fire set the TFmini is single shot mode instead of streaming and stop the mini firing during Z platform scanning torques. I do 62 scans in the 5 degree Z axis scanning range to create an image.

I recommend metal geared servos, the plastic geared servos will wear out in short order plus they do not carry much load. For the platform, I use the parts from a robotic arm.

A Arduino DUE has enough butt, using uMT, to do the floating point calculations but the DUE is large in size. I use freeRTOS with the ESP32. The scanning is done on a round robin basis and platform leveling is done on a time base of 200X a second.