laser range finder

Hello.

Can someone tell me is its possible to use http://www.egismos.com/Laser%20Rangefinder%20RS232%20EV-Kit?search=finder with arduino? I've seen the lightware product (http://www.lightware.co.za/) but Its not very accurate. The "egismos" rangefinder has an accuracy of +/-1.5mm. The "lightware" an accuracy of ±(0.1 + 1%) m witch I thing means that in 10 meter the accuracy would be +/- 100mm Anyone knows this egismos rangefinder?

Thanks

I sent the company an email asking for a reference document for the serial protocol because the product comes with windows software to interface with it and I asked if they had any document for people who don’t want to use a PC for the interface and they sent me the same document on the website referencing the PC software. I guess there is no communcating with them either !
The only thing you can do is connect the end interface cable from one PC to anothe PC with the second PC taking the place of the laser range finder to capture the serial input stream that would normally go to the device. Once you capture the serial using the PC software you can figure out how to emulate it with the arduino.

Detailed ASCII command Sets
?~ON**** Command to turn unit on
Send ‘~ON’ to the LRF and have the LRF return ‘~RDY’ to indicate it is ready to take
measurements. The LRF will send ‘~DOWN’ to the HOST immediately before turned off for idling
over 30 seconds. This turns on the visible laser and permits the user to aim the device.
?~READ Command to return a single measurement
Send ‘~READ’ to the LRF and have the LRF return ‘~nn.nnn, status’ giving the distance
reading and stability/accuracy information. If the LRF idles for over 30 seconds at the conclusion of this
sequence, it will shut down immediately after sending ‘~DOWN’ to the HOST.
?~CONT Command to return continuous measurements
Send ‘~CONT’ to the LRF, and have the LRF return '~nn.nnn, status ~nn.nnn, status
~nn.nnn, status etc. Keep the visible laser on and continue to transmit readings until the LRF
receives the command to turn it off. The laser would be turned off then. If the process goes on for over
180 seconds, the LRF will shut down immediately after sending ‘~DOWN’ to the HOST.
?~OFF Command to turn unit off
Send ‘~OFF’ to the LRF, and have the LRF return ‘~OK’ and then turn off.
?~STAT Command to check status of unit
Send ‘~STAT’ to the LRF, and have the LRF return ‘~Error=000’ for no error,
~Error=999 for hardware error, or ‘~Error=2xx’ for other errors’.

Please refer to the following table for more details
Code Description Solution
000 No error N/A
200 Busy Wait until the current task is done.
204 Calculation error Refer to user menu, repeat the procedures
208 Temperature too high Cool down instrument, make it working in stable temperature environment
253 Temperature too low Warm up instrument
255 Receiver signal too weak, measurement time too long. Use target plate or change a good refection
256 Received signal too strong Target too reflective, Use target plate or do not aim at strong light objective
999 Hardware error and uncertainty error Switch on/off the device several times. If the symbol still appears, then your instrument is defective. Please call your dealer for assistance.

LRM RS232 EV-Kit_re1.pdf (711 KB)