Latest firmware??

Hello,
I am a bit confused, I just upgraded my arduino from an Atmega8 to the 168. It works fine thanks the instructions from this post:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1159499314/0

I noticed now when I upload my “sketch” to the board it displays:

Binary sketch size: 7310 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum) Atmel AVR ATmega168 is found.
Uploading: flash
Firmware Version: 1.15
Firmware Version: 1.15

I remember before I swaped the part I used to get Firmware Version: 1.18. Is this firmware version related to the bootloader or is related to the Arduino IDE and how it links things? My IDE is version 0007alpah. But I just switched the MCU to 168, so I am not sure if i have an old bootloader or what.

If it is related to the boot loader, where can I get the latest version? or a changelog?
Thanks,
r00t

Don’t worry about it. That firmware version doesn’t really mean much. There’s one version of the bootloader for the ATmega8, and another for the ATmega168. One might have a bigger firmware version, but that doesn’t mean it’s newer. If you’re using the bootloader that came on the chip with the Arduino board, you’ve got the correct (and most current) version.

Hi mellis,
Thanks for your reply, but I am not using the bootloader that came with my arduino. I replaced the atmega8 and programmed the atmega168 with this bootloader.
I am not sure if there is a newer version, perhaps someone that has the new arduino with the atmega168 pre-installed can confirm which firmware it has?.
~r00t

Ah, okay. I’m pretty sure that that download is the latest version of the firmware. In any case, I don’t think the version number was changed as the firmware was revised, so just checking that won’t really mean much. Have you had any problems with the version of the bootloader you’re using?