Launch an App Arduino Wireless???

Hello forum!
I was wondering if this would be possible.

When a switch or button is pressed on an Arduino, the Arduino launches an app on my mac. So I flip a switch on the arduino, and my mac launches my custom Automator application - "Test01.app"

Here is the catch. The arduino would have to launch the app, without being connected to the mac! WIRELESS app launch! How could this be done. (One rule: Nothing can be plugged into the computer. Just the straight up computer!)

Any ideas?

If you can't plug anything into your MAc then you are relying on the wireless systems built into it? What are they?

Presumably you could have a program running continuously on the MAC communicating with the Arduino. When it receives a particular message from the Arduino it launches the MAC program of your choice?

...R

You would have to have an app constantly running on the Mac and looking for the signal from arduino. Getting that app to launch another app when it sees said signal would be trivial.

The ESP8266 wireless modules?

Robin2:
If you can't plug anything into your MAc then you are relying on the wireless systems built into it? What are they?

Bluetooth, Wifi.

Yeah, bluetooth will work well.

python script listening on a COMPort could be used easily to launch apps.

Johnny010:
The ESP8266 wireless modules?

+1

connect the esp8266 via a 3.3-5V Logic level converter, and use a breadboard psu or similar to provide 3.3v power independently to the esp8266 it will want to draw more current than an arduino board can supply if simply connected to an arduino alone..

you will need to write a script to sit on your mac and await some sort of message or trigger in order to carry out your reqested command. but that will depend on how you communicate, perhaps udp packages? or perhaps you could use a cloud based MQTT broker which if used would relieve you of a lot of ack sending and validating :wink:

If you want to use WiFi you could run a small web server on the MAC and the Arduino could send messages to it.

I have used the Python Bottle web framework to create simple webservers. I presume it will work on a MAC.

This Python - Arduino demo should work perfectly well over a Bluetooth connection.

...R