LCD-09052 Help

Hello, I recently purchased the LCD display LCD-09052 off SparkFun and am having trouble getting it to print. The datasheet and specs on the display are available here and here is a picture of my setup:

As you can see, I’m able to get the display to turn on, but not print anything. I have also included the code I am using.

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  lcd.print("hello, world!");
}

unharmonic:
. . .
As you can see, I’m able to get the display to turn on, but not print anything. I have also included the code I am using.

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  lcd.print(“hello, world!”);
}

Where’s the rest of your code? I don’t mean the junk in the tutorial but you must have a loop() even if it is empty between the brackets.

Also - You need a connection between the UNO GND and the negative side of whatever is powering your LCD module. That is assuming that you do have something (out of the picture) powering the LCD.

What is the blue wire near the bottom of the picture there for? Perhaps that was supposed to be the GND connection.

Are those jumper wires actually soldered to the LCD pc board. It won’t work if you just stick them in the holes.

Don

Hey, Don! Thanks for your time!

1. I do have the loop function, I just didn't include it because it is empty.

2. I missed connecting the UNO GND to my common ground rail, so I added that. The display is now correctly backlit, but still doesn't print anything.

3. If you're talking about the light blueish looking wire, that's actually a green one going from the UNO 5 V to the red rail on the breadboard to power the LCD.

4. Yes, the jumper wires are soldered on.

Have your tried adjusting the contrast pot?

unharmonic: . . . If you're talking about the light blueish looking wire, that's actually a green one going from the UNO 5 V to the red rail on the breadboard to power the LCD.

On a genuine UNO that's the reset pin. Why don't you try using the other 5v pin?

Don

bodmer: Have your tried adjusting the contrast pot?

He is displaying a row of boxes so the contrast setting is adequate if not ideal.

Don

I sweep the contrast pot every time I try it out. At its brightest I have two rows of white squares on a black background.

I switched the jumper cable to the other 5V pin and am getting the same result.

Have you checked the continuity of your jumper cables?

Don

After some experimentation, I discovered that for whatever reason the lcd.print command does not work with the LCD I purchased. I was successfully able to write "Hello, world!" to the LCD by simply changing the original

lcd.print("hello, world!");

command to

lcd.write("Hello, world!");

I may also have forgotten to add the lcd.setCursor(0,0) command, because I am an idiot. Thank you all for your help!

You must have done something else during your experimentation. . . .

Don