LCD 1602 Display show black box only

Hi guys can anyone please guide me on how to print the words in the lcd, i tried to print it but it doesnt work my code below and a screen shot of my board.

#include<LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 );

void setup() {
 lcd.begin(16, 2);
 lcd.print("hello, world!");
 lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
}

void loop() {

}

Below is the wiring from lcd to Arduino:

LCD :
RS, E, D4, D5, D6, D7, VSS , VO, K, VDD, A

Arduino:
13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, GND, GND, GND, 5V, 5V

Arduino pin for 2,3 is adafruit fingerprint, 6,7 is for led. (this is for later implementation, now im trying to printout the lcd words first)

augchow:
LiquidCrystal lcd(13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 );

I see you fixed the smiley 8) by sticking a space in 8 ).

The real way was to put the code in the code tags so it’s in a nice box.

Code tags.jpg

Thx for the tips! do u know about this lcd issue?

augchow:
do u know about this lcd issue?

Sorry no… the only LCDs I’ve ever used were a) built into a shield and it came with example code that worked out the box and b) an I2C one which is dead simple with 2 wires + power

From what I've seen, bperrybap, Paul__B and floresta (not sure of any of those spellings) are the go-to folk on LCD stuff, wait for them to swing by....

From the photograph, I can't tell which Arduino pin each wire is connected to.
I do have one question.
Are the wires/jumpers at the LCD module soldered to the LCD module?
If not, that is problem.

--- bill

blomcrestlight:
From what I’ve seen, bperrybap,… are the go-to folk on LCD stuff, wait for them to swing by…

bperrybap:

Told you :wink:

Yeah its not solder yet, ok then i will try to solder it first and try. Thanks both of u.

Check the wires you are using and resolder your lcd. I had the same problem and these things fixed it.

Also, there's a problem with your code. You have placed the setCursor command after printing. The LCD can't print until and unless you define where you want to print the characters. Make sure the setCursor command is placed before the print command.

Someone mentioned me?

augchow:
Yeah its not solder yet, ok then I will try to solder it first and try.

If it's not soldered, then it's not connected.

There are a number of simple mistakes that are so basic that we do not pick them up immediately. Full marks to Bill for picking that. Simply placing the pin header through the holes in the display board without soldering is not connecting them though it might just work for a test if you can apply a consistent levering force between them while you run the code.

My ears are burning. Did someone call?

Don

.... lcd-busters?

Hi guys i have soldered it, but still the same, does it relate to my solder too?

2.jpg

1.jpg

Sorry, not impressed!

Frankly not impressed with your soldering - which is useless :astonished: - or your photography.

You need some help with someone locally. :roll_eyes:

augchow,

Soldering looks suspect; however, you also have a wiring issue.
You need to connect R/W to ground.

I missed this from the original post.

--- bill

bperrybap:
Soldering looks suspect; however, you also have a wiring issue.
You need to connect R/W to ground.

Good pick!

Lack of that conenction will completely prevent it from working! :roll_eyes: