LCD 1602 Not readable from direct viewing angle

I recently purchased the Electronic Brick Starter Kit… it it there is LCD screen. When I turn it on the pixels come on quite dark… I can see the info I am putting on the screen if I view it from an angle (from left,right, up or down)… but if I take a direct look on it just looks like black dots. Any thoughts on what I am missing?

Any thoughts on what I am missing?

How are you dealing with the contrast (the voltage on pin 3)?

Don

I have not done anything to adjust contrast... think you figured out the problem... will look up how to use using a potentiometer. thanks

Actually did a lot of digging... didn't need to pot... turns out there is a code missing "lcd.begin(16, 2);" once this was added and adjusted to bus1 it worked. This feed fixed the problem.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=840

Actually did a lot of digging... didn't need to pot... turns out there is a code missing "lcd.begin(16, 2);" once this was added and adjusted to bus1 it worked.

That would certainly cause this problem. For some unexplained reason the LiquidCrystal library defaults to initializing the controller for a 1-line display if the lcd.begin statement is not used. This is a very poor choice since virtually all LCD displays use 2-lines of memory, including most of the displays that have only one line of characters. The 1-line displays use a different multiplexing frequency from the 2-line displays resulting in different contrast requirements.

Don