LCD 16x2 pins joined?

Are pins 15 & 14 on an LCD 16x2 supposed to have continuity?

I tested a couple of my LCDs to be sure and no, there is no connection between D7(14) and the backlight LED anode (15), as expected.

OK I thought that was the case which was resulting in my lcd not lighting up. I discovered a small piece of solder connecting the pins in under the plastic header. I removed it and that issue is fixed. However the lcd won't light up now.

Any ideas? I'm following the Arduino tutorial for lcd parallel. How can I test the lcd any other way?

Do you mean that the backlight won’t work or the LCD shows no characters? What Adafruit tutorial (link so I don’t have to hunt for it)? Have you installed the contrast pot and tried adjusting it? 4 bit or 8 bit parallel?

Ok sorry, I meant Arduino tutorial as the official site tutorial:

HelloWorld

The only thing I didnt do was connect the pot to pin 3 on the LCD. I thought that was optional. So I guess that must be the issue :frowning:

Thanks

The only thing I didnt do was connect the pot to pin 3 on the LCD. I thought that was optional. So I guess that must be the issue :frowning:

If you don’t have a pot, you can connect pin 3 to ground either directly, or through a resistor. There is usually some value between 2K ohm and a direct connection which will create the correct contrast.

ok, I tried another lcd and it works. So something must have gotten messed up with that other one.