lcd 16x2 shows only background light

I've followed a lot of tutorials but i cant get this work.
i use an arduino mega and it's my first arduino so i dont now if it'a a arduino problom or a display.
if u need to know some more information just ask me.
Thanks for your time.

Probably neither. I suspect operator error.

Don

floresta:
Probably neither. I suspect operator error.

Don

Thanks for your reply
Now it work....
only fault was that i haven't solder the 16 pins so there wasn't any contact with the V0 so it wasn't showing anything.
Noi i'm wondering how i have to work with the LCD without soldering the pins...
do you have any idea how can i do?

You need to solder the pins at least to the display itself!
After that it MIGHT work that you place the pins into a stackable header row on a board, which is properly connected with your Arduino (although imho the whole construction doesn't make much sense and is a source for failure).
Those LCD displays are very critical and won't work at all, whenever a connection is not solid.

Question: why do you want to avoid soldering them ?

rpt007:
You need to solder the pins at least to the display itself!
After that it MIGHT work that you place the pins into a stackable header row on a board, which is properly connected with your Arduino (although imho the whole construction doesn't make much sense and is a source for failure).
Those LCD displays are very critical and won't work at all, whenever a connection is not solid.

Question: why do you want to avoid soldering them ?

i dont have one :wink:
But i did it with out, here's a photo:

thanks for your time

thanks for your time

You are welcome.

But, don't be astonished when your configuration will work as a real digital one:
WORKS - WORKS NOT - WORKS - WORKS NOT

The second you touch your non-soldered configuration and move it a little aside - you will see the "digital" effect.

If you want to continue with Arduino and peripheral devices like a display which doesn't come with pin headers soldered, go and get a solder iron and learn how to produce good connections.