LCD 4884 - Soldering the clamps

Hey mates, how have you been?

I recently bought a 4884 LCD.

When I first inspect that piece of hardware I found out that the LCD was not soldered into the PCB. At first I was like:

"Nice, I can inspect the PCB which the LCD is covering". Well, it's exactly like any PCB around! lol.

Later I realized that to make sure the LCD won't flick, I must stick it into the PCB.

That's when the nightmare came. I was trying to solder those 4 holding clamps into the PCB but it's impossible because the solder won't glue into the LCD metal shield.

By the way, this is the back of the LCD module: http://www.sainsmart.com/zen/albums/SKU/20/20-011/20-011-822/trade_spotting/05.JPG

My question is: Now what? :) No one had this problem?!

I accept suggestions :)

Thanks

Regards.

You likely need to use some flux, when it heats up from the soldering iron it will clean the surfaces and the solder should stick. Make sure you have a decently sized tip to heat everything up enough for the solder to flow pr0perly.

CrossRoads: You likely need to use some flux, when it heats up from the soldering iron it will clean the surfaces and the solder should stick. Make sure you have a decently sized tip to heat everything up enough for the solder to flow pr0perly.

Thanks for the tip... but I can't get it working. The solder simply wont glue.

I have a quite nice flux but it's useless :( Maybe the metal shield is not compatible with solder :/

I'll try sanding the metal.

Could be they're just meant to go in and then be bent over to hold in place, with just the pins being soldered.

If the LCD is in fact the standard Nokia 5110, Crossroads is right. The clamps just click into place, no soldering required, and the "pads" on the PCB are just for neatness. The bezel is stainless steel and no amount of sanding will make any difference.

I imagine it could be soldered, but you will probably need a high-silver solder and the appropriate flux.

Sorry for my late feedback.

You’re both right:

1. I also believe that the clamps are not meant to be soldered (they are stainless steel)
  2. Maybe, bending the inner clamps and then soldering it into the PCB might be a solution
  3. I already damaged the LCD (too much heat) but I am using another LCD module which the clamps are firmly attached into the PCB and the electrical contact is excellent.
  4. I ordered another LCD (just the LCD) so I can replace the damaged one and still use the whole LCD board

Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

Regards.