LCD and Serial converter. Compatible?

Hello .. Just got hold of a Serial converter for my 1602 display. This one to be specific

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321746414339?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The thing is that i also have this display Displaytech 204A

Are those two components compatible? To me it seems that they arent, but i just want to make sure.

The 204A has the same amount of pins as the 1602

Are those two components compatible? To me it seems that they arent, but i just want to make sure.

If you look at the data sheet for the lcd it shows ST7066U-0A-B & ST7065C as the display controllers. These are compatible with the HD 44780 so this backpack should work with that display.

Interesting thanks for that.. I must admit that i dont know much about what to look for in this matter. I was looking for a protocol that the serial interface was using. Thanks!

Your problems are just beginning. Yes, compatible. but you will need a different initialization string for the 20 char by 4 line display. I THINK (cant get to ebay to look) that the 'converter' is an I2C interface. You'll need to know what the I2c address is (look for I2CScanner script) and then what the proper initialization values are ( look for LCD Guesser or LCDI2CGuesser script, or some such combination of LCD, I2C, and Guesser). takes a while, but you'll get there eventually.

Note: the lines are addressed as 0 & 1 (top/bottom) on the 1602 displays, but...
line addresses (top to bottom) on the 20 by 4 displays are 1,3,2,4 (you'll think you have the wrong init string, but you don't, that is just the way the stupid things work.....)

Have fun and good luck.