LCD and Uno stacking

Hi,

I bought a Freetronics LCD with keypad and it comes with headers to stack it nicely on a Arduino Uno R3. Once the boards are stacked they are very stable but there is no access to any of the pins anymore. Can someone explain how I can access the pins to connect to sensors on a separate prototype board? Do I need to solder right-angle headers to the bottom of the Arduino board?

Ideally, I need the sensors to be separate from the LCD & Uno block, so it would be something like a block of LCD+board at the top of my enclosure and another circuit board with sensors at the bottom of the enclosure.

Here is the enclosure I will use: http://store.linksprite.com/clear-enclosure-for-pcduino-arduino/?src=prn#write_review

Thanks for your help.

Gaetano.

The simplest solution is the bleeding obvious - have another shield for the sensors that stacks between Uno and the LCD shield. This can be store-bought or made up with a Freetronics prototyping kit.

For $17.50 you can get a screw terminal shield that has phoenix screw terminals on it and headers to plug another shield in. I have my LinkSprite lcd button shield from Sparkfun plugged into mine .It also has a protoboard in the middle you can put parts on. If you are interested I can send you a photo and tell you where to get it.

Nick,

Would inserting a board in-between allow for a thermal sensor, photoresitor or anything that requires environmental feeds? What's bleeding obvious to you is not for someone who only did a single project :)

Cheers, Gaetano.

Hi Raschemmel,

That sounds like what I want to do. It would be great if you could post a shot of the parts.

Cheers, Gaetano.

Gaetanodd:
Would inserting a board in-between allow for a thermal sensor, photoresitor or anything that requires environmental feeds? What’s bleeding obvious to you is not for someone who only did a single project :slight_smile:

Yes. Don’t worry about missing the bleeding obvious, it will hit you soon - but gently…
One of the features of Arduino as a system are the stackable shields. These can be store-bought or home-brewed. You can be sure that no manufacturer makes what you want and it isn’t hard to cobble your own. If nothing else, that way you get to make sure the plugs match.

Picture shows a four-storey stack with Mega, Ethernet, sensors, and display. In the foreground is a similar sensor shield. It is for three DS18B20s and a water turbine. It has an on-board clock, and headers for bluetooth and 4x20 display. The larger one in the background is much the same but will carry bluetooth on board.

Send a personal message to Crossroads , (see Reply#5 of this post for photo. I got my screw-terminal shield from him) http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=229036.msg1654429#msg1654429