LCD connected properly is not working

I have a 4x20 display problem. This is RC2004A-LLH-JSV so I connected everything according to the datasheet and the lcd does not work in addition a microprocessor gets really hot. This is marked in the picture, of course my arduino uno works great with lcd 16x2. Only LED backlight turns on or sometimes single stripes on the screen.
Here is the datasheet:
http://www.tme.eu/en/Document/da7232aa51a626d16ee59e0b7b36ecdc/RC2004A-LLH-JSV.pdf
Can it work with arduino at all?

LCD connected properly is not working

Pleas provide a photograph of your connections so we can verify this. It appears that your backlight and your potentiometer wiring might be of particular interest for this display since pin 15 is designated as an output.

Can it work with arduino at all?

It might not work with the Arduino that got 'really hot' but it should work if properly connected to a good one.

Don

If the photo shows the state of the LCD module when you were using it, it has soldering issues.
There does not appear to be any solder on pins 1, 6, 14, and 12.
And all the others look very suspect.

But given there are no visible wires in this photo, it may not be showing the module in the state it was in when you were testing it.

As Don said, it would be useful to see all the connections, including the soldering on the other side of LCD module.

--- bill

Hi.

Your photo:
a7803d9ca1a7480f5fd2a7e4548df684a73e814a.jpg

You have drawn a black box around an IC to the far right of that picture (making its designation illegible).
See C1 and C2 next to it ?
These seem to be tantalum capacitors.
Tantalum capacitors are polarized, which is shown by the darker indicator on the chip.
If they are powered in reverse, they will fail, most of the times in a spectacular way.
C1 seems to be OK.
C2 is not.
I can’t tell for sure, but it may be mounted the wrong way around on that board.
Instead of the yellow colour, the part has turned brown; it is defective now.

The heat might come from the defective capacitor instead of the chip, but it might as well come from the chip driving that capacitor.
I don’t know because i don’t know what the chip is nor its function.
But if these parts weren’t absolutely necessary, they wouldn’t be on the board, so that must be the reason for your problems.
The cause may be something else, it could be a mistake by the one that connected it (and now corrected the error), but it may as well be a capacitor mounted the wrong way around.
But i’m sure it is defective and suspect the chip to have suffered from this defect too.

But if these parts weren't absolutely necessary, they wouldn't be on the board, so that must be the reason for your problems.

I believe that those parts comprise the negative supply whose output is on pin 15. Since he may have tried to power his backlight via that pin, as is done on most LCD modules, the presence of fried components should not be unexpected.

Don

Soldering is correct, when it comes to the picture it is a broken screen on it.
So I connected lcd just like every 16x2 screen and these capacitorsgot hot, one time screen show Hello world! and after 2 seconds it burned. I sent it to guarantee and recognized as a factory defect, I got a new one that I do not want to broke again. Can a standard 16x2 lcd connection work for this lcd?

Could you guys sugest me how to connect it like:
pin 1 ground
pin 2 5V....
I will try it and post results here :slight_smile:

Can a standard 16x2 lcd connection work for this lcd?

More or less. Pins 1 - 14 (except for pin 3) are the same.

Pins 15 and 16 are NOT part of the original 14-pin Hitachi defacto 'standard' for 16x2 (and other configuration) LCDs and pin 15 has a different use on your module than it does on most modern modules.

Your backlight connections are on the end of the module. See page 13 of your datasheet. Note that a series current limiting resistor is shown on that diagram.

Your device can operate over an extended temperature range and therefore the potentiometer connections to pin 3 are different than those typically used. See page 8 or page 12 of your datasheet for the correct connections.

Don

Sorry for interrupting but I have a kind of problem with a LCD Keypad Shield. I have attached it correctly to the UNO board. However, it's not showing anything. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ricardo_17:
Sorry for interrupting but I have a kind of problem with a LCD Keypad Shield. I have attached it correctly to the UNO board. However, it's not showing anything. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Start a new thread for your issue.
--- bill