LCD display feed of servo degree

Does anyone know how I could get the degree from a servo to be displayed on an LCD screen. I would ultimately like to have the screen display the servos degree without being hooked up to the same device. I guess you could think I want to have the LCD screen display the servos degree wirelessly, but without a smartphone or computer hooked up. I also don't know how this would be done, but I want to be able to assign my own values to each degree presented so that when its at 130 degrees it will display 8 or 64 or whatever I choose.

Does anyone know how I could get the degree from a servo to be displayed on an LCD screen.

Standard servos don't have actual position feedback without extra gizmos or hacking. If the servo is not in the position it was commanded to go to, then it is probably physically bound or broken.

If you are controlling the servo (or have access to the pwm signal being used to control the servo) then you could display that position - or any value you like derived from it - on an LCD display.

If you aren't controlling or connected to the servo the only way you'd have to find its position would be to attach some sort of position sensor to it.

So this is misleading in that it is simply mirroring back a written value? It would give an incorrect value if an external physical force would change the servo's position to one different than what the last servo.write, correct?- Scotty

scottyjr:
So this is misleading in that it is simply mirroring back a written value?

The description says:

Read the current angle of the servo (the value passed to the last call to write()).

I don’t see anything misleading or ambiguous about that.

To me the words “the current angle” does not mean the same as “the value passed to the last call to write()” because they potentially could be different. I suppose that servo.read is just convenient since it’s already a known value without having to ‘read’ anything. - Scotty

servo.read is ... already a known value without having to 'read' anything.

And in fact to me it seems totally redundant, because the only way the servo was told to go anywhere was by the program, so we already know the value somewhere in our code or a variable without this so-called read.

Although having said that, perhaps the "read" is an easier way of finding the position that keeping track of an ever-changing write value of say "pos+10" say, where the "read" knows that that value is now at 120.

scottyjr: To me the words "the current angle" does not mean the same as "the value passed to the last call to write()" because they potentially could be different. I suppose that servo.read is just convenient since it's already a known value without having to 'read' anything. - Scotty

Easy to check out, you don't even have to have a servo. 8)

scottyjr: To me the words "the current angle" does not mean the same as "the value passed to the last call to write()" because they potentially could be different.

Yes, the function name leaves scope for confusion, but I think the description removes any possible doubt about what it does.