LCD display via I2C - Help me!

Hi,

I am new with Arduino and electronic too. I want to connect to my Arduino an alphanumeric LCD display via I2C Bus.

Do you have any schema (circuit) how should I connect it, which controller (driver) should I use. I was thinking about PCF7584 but I do not know...

So if you could help me... Some examples of code, how to send words to lcd would be great too.

Thanks for your help!

want to connect to my Arduino an alphanumeric LCD display via I2C Bus.

Why? :-/

But if you must then just follow the same process as normal but channel all the commands through the I2C mechanism.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/LCD

want to connect to my Arduino an alphanumeric LCD display via I2C Bus.

Why? :-/

With I2C I need only two wires!
I want to buy 16x2 LCD display (without I2C) and some chip (I2C controller).
So it is cheaper.
But I need Know-how.

But most LCD can be controlled with 5 wires and much more convieantly. If you are short of pins then use the I2C for some of those other pin functions that don't change so often. Any way the link shows how to do both.

I've used a couple of these I2C LCD Controllers. They are full featured and relatively inexpensive*. Basically it's just a PIC with a customer firmware that emulates a LCD controller.

• I have no relationship to the maker - I'm just a satisfied customer.

I've used a couple of these I2C LCD Controllers. They are full featured and relatively inexpensive*. Basically it's just a PIC with a customer firmware that emulates a LCD controller.

It looks nice, could you please show me a piece of code you are using with. Do you use some library with it?

It looks nice, could you please show me a piece of code you are using with. Do you use some library with it?

Sorry, I don't have any example Arduino code or library. But it's just a simple I2C device with all the LCD control control commands documented in the datasheet from the manufacturer. Basically you're going to connect Analog 4 on the Arduino to the SDA pin on the device, and Analog 5 to the SCL pin - both with 4.7K pull-up resistors to 5V (this is required by the I2C specification). The rest of the connections on the controller are to the LCD and power as defined in the datasheet.

After that look in the playground for some example I2C code and adapt that to this device. As an example, here's a link to code for a digital compass using I2C. This shows the basics of initialization, writing and reading.

Maybe someday I'll get around to playing with these controllers with an Arduino. Just haven't had the need (or time) yet.

After that look in the playground for some example I2C code and adapt that to this device. As an example, here's a link to code for a digital compass using I2C. This shows the basics of initialization, writing and reading.

Thanks, I am sure it will help me.