LCD for automotive

I have an automotive project that I would like to turn into a product, and I am having diffictiles finding a automotive approved display that's cost effective and compatible with Arduino(atMega).

The current display is this 3.5" TFT LCD ( https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075FP83V5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_5XJT9RPQ7NH7K8BMWPY8 ).

But I highly doubt this would be acceptable in an automotive environment.

If the 3.5-inch display, is unsuitable, you probably need to find a different type.

That’s about all I can suggest without A LOT more detail.

Assuming this is going to be sold to an OEM are you current on the automotive electrical/electronic requirements. For thermal you may have to check the specifications on each part. Depending on where you mount it you will need -40F to upto and exceeding 125C. If this is after market consider the above requirements, you are not bound to them but expect them.

the currently 3.5-Inch display meets every requirement except automotive specification. any screen that can be used as a reasonable replacement would work that's automotive spec.

any screen that's not just a black and white, or incredibly low resolution will work. the requirements are to simply present some numbers/plots to the user. i just don't know where to even find anything besides prototype LCD's for hobbiest products.

This will be sold as an aftermarket product, everything excluding the LCD in terms of the electronics is made from components that all met AEC-Q100 Spec or greater.

this is a little off topic, but could you point me in the direction to learn more about requirements for aftermarket automotive products if i plan to sell them? i am an engineer and i plan to contact my local engineering association about this, but any information i can find beforehand would be helpful.

1 Like

Actually in my opinion you are dead center on target. A good place to start would be the AEC-Qxxx standards. They are widely accepted and adhered to by most suppliers world wide. Here is a starting link for you. The AEC-Q200 Standard, what does it really mean? Keep us in the link and let us know how you make out.

I do not believe AEC-Q100 applies to displays.

I worked at an automotive OEM for many years. We also sold the same parts at aftermarket parts.

Having inspected some of our non OEM aftermarket competitors I would say that aftermarket is like the wild west. While your product must function and have a reasonable failure rate, else folks line NAPA wouldn't purchase them. The rest is pretty much open.

Important question:
Is your product a safety related product? i.e. If it fails or provides erroneous information, will the vehicle occupants be in danger.

Interesting thought...... the entertainment system is not considered a safety item, However what would happen if the system failed to max volume?

i see, ill have a look at what makes a LCD suitable for automotive , maybe that's why i haven't been able to get any hits, i was searching the wrong terms.

The device is not safety related, but it does interfere with the engine operation in some way. there shouldn't be any danger unless critical sings of engine issues are ignored.

worst case scenario is that the engine will slowly start dying and then stall, and may cause engine damage, this would require the user to ignore all signs of the malfunctions till they got out of hand which would take at least a few minutes ( the CEL would be flashing in this case).

best case scenario, nothing happens and device just doesn't function.

there was sufficient thought (IMO) in the coding to check that all sensors are operating within expected ranges before doing anything, and if desired response from the system doesn't match with predicted, it just stops.

similar logic was put into the electronics , is was setup so that if everything fails on my device, it wouldn't propagate back to the car, but any issues with the car would most likely cause the software to stop my devices function and possibly burn the electronics of my device.

You could check out https://www.newhavendisplay.com/

I agree, someone like New Haven will at least (hopefully) give you the piece of mind that they won't change without notifying you. Or perhaps specifying a revision number/letter.

You are correct that is why there are so many problems with aftermarket parts. The AEC -Q200 qualification is the global standard for stress resistance that all passive electronic components must meet, if they are intended for use within the automotive industry. Parts are deemed to be "AEC -Q200 qualified" if they have passed the stringent suite of stress tests contained within the standard. The AEC-Q100 is a failure mechanism based stress test qualification for packaged integrated circuits used in automotive applications. ... An AEC-Q100 qualified device means that the device has passed the specified stress tests and guarantees a certain level of quality/reliability There are more that is why I stated AEC-Qxxx different standards apply to different classes of parts. I was in the semiconductor business and we measured our failures in parts per million transitioning to parts per billion when I retired.