lcd help

I tore an 16x2 lcd out of some old electronics and i want to make it work but all i can seem to do is make it light up. All i have is male to male jumpers and an half size bread board and some resistors can someone send me a tut or somthing. I need it to be a tut with out a potentiometer.

lcd that i have

Hi and welcome.

You can't be helped. The only source of information is missing:

Zoinks! You've taken a wrong turn.

Let's split up, gang. If you're looking for an image, it's probably been deleted or may not have existed at all.

i fixed the link

I need it to be a tut with out a potentiometer.

Use the Arduino tutorial and connect pin 3 to GND instead of to a potentiometer. Once you have the device functioning then try various small (less than 1000 ohm) resistors between pin 3 and GND.

If you still can't get it to work then provide a picture that shows your entire setup and make sure that the picture is in focus.

Don

Hmm.

So you have half of a PCB, a camera that has difficulty focussing, and no additional light..

Does the other side of that PCB have some text on it ? If you're able to light the backlight, then you know where pins 15 and 16 are. You should also find out where pin 1 is. I can't tell that from the picture you're showing.

lcd back

lcd front

Ok.

That shows more detail. The display brand is Data Image. The type is CM1625.

So google is your friend. It serves you this PDF document (click !). It tells you about the CM1621, but also that the last number shows a version number of the same display. As we don't have any specs yet for the 5 version, we can have a peek at this one and see if we can get wiser from that.

The picture of the front shows that there are some indications in the copper of the PCB: pins 1 and 16 are shown. The new picture of the back shows that J2 and J4 and J6 are connected by a drop of solder. That means according on the table visible in the same picture, that pin 15 is the Anode (A), and pin 16 is the Cathode (K) of the backlight. Also, J8 is populated, so BLZ GND is valid, but don't ask me what that means.

The module was most likely produced in week 08 of 2001.

You see, showing as much as you've got will help a lot.

How about this document. I bet it's as close as you can get. Take a look at page 11 of it, to learn how to connect it.

It also tells about how to read the type code, the production date and so forth.

That looks like a pretty standard LCD except for the fact that there are two sets of 16 pins. Your device is upside down and you are using the set of pins at the lower left. There's nothing wrong with this as long as you use the correct pin numbers when following the tutorial, the layout will of course be different.

You really should clean off the excess solder on both sets of pins and you can remove the wires from DB0 through DB3 as well.

Don

If you have an Arduino then it is far more better. If you don’t then just connect Pin 1 and Pin 16 to GND, Pin 2 and Pin 15 to +5V Vcc to light up the background and foreground display.
To control and make different characters it is difficult without the Arduino (But it is possible manually with lot of hectic steps). Arduino is a must buy item (Atleast the Arduino Uno). So do you have an Arduino?

SagarDev: If you have an Arduino then it is far more better. If you don't then just connect Pin 1 and Pin 16 to GND, Pin 2 and Pin 15 to +5V Vcc to light up the background and foreground display. To control and make different characters it is difficult without the Arduino (But it is possible manually with lot of hectic steps). Arduino is a must buy item (Atleast the Arduino Uno). So do you have an Arduino?

I think you can safely assume that he has an Arduino since he posted his question on the Arduino forum.

These character displays were being used for decades before the Arduino was even thought about. They can be easily controlled by any microprocessor in existence.

Don

lcd wiring if i didnt get a good pic of it tell me and i will take more pics

SagarDev: If you have an Arduino then it is far more better. If you don't then just connect Pin 1 and Pin 16 to GND, Pin 2 and Pin 15 to +5V Vcc to light up the background and foreground display. To control and make different characters it is difficult without the Arduino (But it is possible manually with lot of hectic steps). Arduino is a must buy item (Atleast the Arduino Uno). So do you have an Arduino?

hahaha yes i have an arduino

koopa657: lcd wiring if i didnt get a good pic of it tell me and i will take more pics

You need to make sure that we can unambiguously follow each wire from one end to the other.

You will have to spread things out a bit and separate the wires so they are not twisted. Also, take the picture from directly above the components and from further away.

Don

Then it is simple. Connect the 5V and GND of the Arduino to the power rails of the breadboard. Connect pins 1,5,16 to the GND and pins 2&15 to +5V Vcc(Pins are of the LCD). Then connect pins 4,6,11,12,13,14 of the LCD to the I/O pins as per your code. Connect the left and right pins of a potentiometer to Vcc and GND and the centre pin to the pin 3 of the LCD. If you have done this right, then your LCD should work perfectly as per your code uploaded to the Arduino.

Then it is simple....

He would be better off connecting it in accordance with the data sheet.

Don

I have upload some file which help you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b86he36t9cxb5pu/LCD%20screen.zip?dl=0

Anyone had this problem?
My LCD is showing only half characters, I have used example "Hello world " withouth time counting.

Check the pins connection first and then ask again :)

Hi Bajs, welcome.

Why are you asking here ? This thread is about something different, and is still active. You should have started a new question, or better hale looked for an existing thread about this (of which i'm sure it is available and treated many times already over here).

Your problem has nothing to do with wiring. The problem could be due to an improper initialization (are you telling you want to use a 1602 display in your sketch ?). But most likely you have a defect on your display module (a problem with on board memory comes to mind).