lcd not declared

quick one for you guys. I usually hook up a color lcd manually, but i just got a 16x2 with a shield i am using for the first time. I dont know how to declare it. Usually i write in an array of all the pins i am using and that ends it. With the shield, I hook up to analog. For example A4 and A5, but this does not seem to help when I input into an array example:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
#include <Servo.h> // servo library
LiquidCrystal lcd (array); <— this is where i input all the wires but now it’s a shield!
#define buttonVal 4//permenantly define the button to digital pin 4

int buttonPin = 0;//added this code to announce that the button
//would be considered of (no power)
unsigned long nowMillis=0;
unsigned long debounceTimer=0;

Servo servo1; // servo control object
Servo servo2;

void setup()
{
lcd.begin(16, 2);<---- this is what is not being declared!
lcd.clear();

can anyone help??? Do i need a different library??

A link to your lcd will help. Have you tried looking up your lcd on say digikey, mouser or eBay? If you can find it, you may also find a link to a working library.

i did a little more digging, I believe the I2c library is needed? does that sound right to you guys? Is an LCD shield considered I2C?

If by shield you mean a backpack then yes, you will need to use the I2C library. But again we don’t know what kind of lcd you have so we can’t be certain which library is right to use.

hazard, sorry, i do not know which one it is, it came in a kit. It does have a Funduino (red) I2c backpack. So i assume i need that library. Thank you for the help. You actually motivated me to dig and it led me to the library. thank you!