LCD on Breadboard Question

Hello, We are on Lesson 8 and the You Tube video I watched had a bonus of how to make a Magic 8 Ball. My question is when using the LCD on the breadboard, how far do the pins go down? Right now it just seems that they are just sitting on there and I'm curious as to if that's why it's not displaying.

Thank you for the help

You definitely need to make sure the pins are pushed down far enough into the breadboard to get a good electrical connection with the contacts. If there is some part of the display that prevents you from pushing the pins fully into the breadboard, then you should use female to male jumper wires to make the connections instead.

GAD071609: Right now it just seems that they are just sitting on there and I'm curious as to if that's why it's not displaying.

Electricity requires a continuous path along conductors. At these voltages, it will not pass over air gaps.

Unless the pins are actually inserted and pushed down into the connectors inside the breadboard it is almost certain that while some may touch, others will not. Unless all connections to the LCD are made, it will not work. :astonished:

We often see people here who just rest the pin connectors into the LCD board but do not solder them to the LCD tracks, and wonder why it does not work when they simply have not actually made connections to each and every pin.

In fact, since we almost always use "nybble" (4-bit data) mode on the LCD, pins 7 to 10 obviously do not need to be connected. I am of course referring to a 16-pin "1602" or "2004" display whcih I presume is what you mean as we obviously have no idea to what YouTube video you refer or what "Magic 8 Ball" this is. :roll_eyes:

I should of posted the link to the YouTube Video.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uXvVbkz45o

Thanks again for the help!

GAD071609: I should of posted the link to the YouTube Video.

You most certainly should have! :roll_eyes:

I see that you have a reply from Ricardo Moreno.

Frankly, I could not cope with listening to the whole of that video, so I did not initially note that he sort of explains the bad blunder in his Fritzing diagram (7:50) by explaining that he actually (8:55) has jumpers hidden under the LCD including the one that ties the potentiometer and LCD pin 1 to ground. It pretty much goes without saying that if you miss out on these connections, it definitely will not work! :astonished:

Now if you are doing this or any circuits with these LCDs, take a note to correct the longstanding blunder that the potentiometer should not be connected to 5 V - just leave that end unconnected and contrast setting - adjusting the control until you see the "blocks" on the first line only of the LCD while you hold the reset button on the Arduino down and apply power - will be twice as easy.

Okay I will try that. Thank you very much for your time and help!