LCD - Pin assignments

I have got an 16 x 2 LCD display working OK on my Uno board, using the Pin assignments; D2, D3, D4, D5, D11, D12, as per the tutorial http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LiquidCrystal and am now building my project as a standalone using a 328P-PU and some stripboard ect.
It would be a much neater layout if I could wire the LCD via one side of the chip's pins, such as D0, D1, D2, D3, D4, D5 instead of the tutorial's pins (the tutorial actually quotes pins D0 - D7 in the text, but then goes onto use different pins??)

Is there any reason why I can't change the pin assignment in the sketch to read;
LiquidCrystal lcd(5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0);
and use those pins instead?

Because pins 0 and 1 are hardware serial that you may need if you ever want to update the code via arduino bootloader. If you don't plan to update, go right ahead.

liudr:
Because pins 0 and 1 are hardware serial that you may need if you ever want to update the code via arduino bootloader. If you don’t plan to update, go right ahead.

Can you think of any reason why the tutorial avoided D6 & D7 and instead jumped to D11 & D12?
I have just changed the Pin assignment to D6 & D7, swopped the physical connections to D6 & D7 and the display remained blank??

OK, I have followed the tutorial at Arduino Tutorial - connecting a parallel LCD and managed to move the connections to D8, D9, D10, D11, D12 & D13, which is good enough because I can link the D8 pin to the stripboard rail immediately below D9, and also pick up power via pins 20 & 21 rails, so all of the connections will be on one continuous header.

pauldreed:
Can you think of any reason why the tutorial avoided D6 & D7 and instead jumped to D11 & D12?
I have just changed the Pin assignment to D6 & D7, swopped the physical connections to D6 & D7 and the display remained blank??

I didn't write it so no I can't answer that.

I don't know why. There is no pictures or codes. Either or both could have been wrong and the display didn't work as a result. You re-did the tutorial and it worked so must mean you did it wrong with D6 and D7 but again no pictures so who knows what you did wrong. Just stick to the working tutorial. That is the best way to avoid problems.