LCD problem..

Hello, this is my first post :slight_smile:

I have this lcd from sureelectronics:
http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=969

http://www.sure-electronics.net/download/down.php?name=DE-LD023_Ver1.0_EN.pdf <–datasheet

Is there any way to use this with the arduino?

As i understand i should use the TTL RXD pin on the lcd ( wonder if the pin is dead :P)

I tried somthing like this:

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  on();
}

void loop()
{  
  Serial.print("Hello World");
  delay(2000);
}

void on(){  //establish connection to the lcd? see pdf..
  Serial.print(0xFE, BYTE);
  Serial.print(0x53, BYTE);
  Serial.print(0x75, BYTE);
  Serial.print(0x72, BYTE);
  Serial.print(0x65, BYTE);
}

Nothing happens on the lcd, it is just the “boot screen” image like it does not receive anything… >:(

No one used this lcd or have a input ? :-[

As i understand i should use the TTL RXD pin on the lcd

No from that data sheet you need to connect it to a USB host, like a PC. The arduino does not act as a USB host. I think you have bought the wrong board because it looks like it contains a USB to serial bridge and you just want a straight serial input display. When you have one you connect it to the TX as you are transmitting data. The RX is for receiving data.

Thanks for input, if you look at this picture of it:

It is some inputs on the back, i tried soldering wires on to them, and in the PDF it states "NOTE: If other serial ports are used to control Edition III, please enter start command (command in the 12th row) before power on"

How do i enter this (0xFE,0x53,0x75,0x72,0x65) and i dont know if its HEX/BYTE :P

Like this?

int thisByte;
thisByte = (0xFE,0x53,0x75,0x72,0x65);
Serial.print(thisByte, BYTE); 
  delay(1000);

If other serial ports are used to control Edition III, please enter start command (command in the 12th row) before power on"

I think tat refers to the illustration where COM port 4 is used on the PC, if you use another one then this needs to be set up before you power on. To me that means it sends some stuff as well.

The TX data line on the board should be connected to the TX data on the arduino and the RX data line on the board to the RC line on the arduino.

I don’t think you can do:-
thisByte = (0xFE,0x53,0x75,0x72,0x65);
an int is two bytes and you are trying to cram four bytes into it.
Then when you print it as a byte it cuts it down to one.
just print the bytes one at a time.

i give up, will this work with a 20x4 lcd on the arduino:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=258 ?

i’d rather you use a serial lcd there alot easier to deal with then the parellel ones but using the serial programmer for the parellel lcd should make ur life easy.

i have a qustion on the topic as well …

will i tried connecting the arduion tx pin to a serial Lcd and sending chars to it but it didnt work at all.

with the mega it worked fine all i had to do was serial1.print and text and it took it out to the lcd

i coudlnt get the serial to work on the deminilova.

if i used any other pin do i need to have a ttl to rs232 converter ?? for the data to make since ??

speaking of serial as well i have another qustion am sorry am filled with qustions. >_<

i have manged to send data out to the lcd and am really hoping u can answer me this becuase i’ve asked sevral ppl today and no one seems to know

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/773/img00103201002151143.jpg

the text keeps on streaming on the LCD like AAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVVBBBBBBBBB or what ever i type to be displayed but it keeps on going flowing.

how can i make it go on the screen bit by bit to show ABCDEFG as i type them and not have them stream AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBCCCCCCCC and so on

i really hope u can help

thank you in advance for bareing with me

how did you managed to print characters? it’s driving me crazy!
(arduino duemilanove)

how did you managed to print characters

It's down to the software only printing when a new character is received.

what do you mean?? can you make a wiring/communication example? :-/

what do you mean?

If you are getting aaaaaabbbbbbccccdddd when you type abcd then you are not waiting for a new character to arrive before you go round the loop again and print.

What problem exactly do you have and what set up are you using, you seem to have hijacked this dead thread.

hooo, no.. i'm a step behind i still can't print :'( tryed both ttl and rs232 connector i can see the led blink (in one case)but the display doesn't react. i think because of a wrong inizialization string but i'm unsure... (same setup same lcd same arduino duemilanove)

So lets step back, What LCD display have you got? How have you wired it up? What do you see on it (like all blocks when you adjust the contrast).

i have the same display you can see in the pictures above, i've soldered a connector to the ttl port, and i've connected tx from the display to arduino pin 1 and rx from the display to the pin 0 of arduino. when i send something i can see the led blinking on the lcd but nothing more... i'm stuck at the boot screen

http://www.sure-electronics.net/download/down.php?name=DE-LD022_Ver1.0_EN.pdf could be usefull

and i've connected tx from the display to arduino pin 1 and rx from the display to the pin 0 of arduino.

That sounds the wrong way round. RX is an input on the arduino (pin 0) and should be connected to an output so I would assume that is a TX on the module (although these things can be defined the other way round).

Have you tried using software serial?

in my first tests i’ve connected the lines crossed (tx–>rx and rx<–tx)
but it didn’t work
softwareserial? no i didn’t use it, can you do an example?

in my first tests i’ve connected the lines crossed (tx–>rx and rx<–tx)
but it didn’t work

Have you corrected anything since that first try?

softwareserial? no i didn’t use it, can you do an example?

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SoftwareSerial

why? don't you like regular serial port?

Because the regular serial port is being used by the USB / serial chip and you often get a conflict when you try and use it for something different without disconnecting it first. I assume you have not disconnected it, it involves removing two surface mount resistors.

haa, i didn’t know .
so it can’t work even if i disconnect the usb cable, give to arduino an external psu and push the reset button?

I’ll try this code:
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
#define rxPin 6 // software Rx pin (connect to Tx on LCD)
#define txPin 7 // software Tx pin (connect to Rx on LCD)

// set up a new serial port
SoftwareSerial swSerial = SoftwareSerial(rxPin, txPin);

void setup() {
pinMode(rxPin, INPUT);
pinMode(txPin, OUTPUT);
// set the data rate for the SoftwareSerial port
swSerial.begin(9600);
// and set the date rate for the real serial port
Serial.begin(9600);
delay(100); // (can’t use port immediately?)
startLCD();
swSerial.print(“Hello, world!”);
}

void loop() {
// retransmit bytes read from the computer to LCD
if (Serial.available() > 0) {
byte inchar = Serial.read();
swSerial.print(inchar);
}
}

void startLCD(){

swSerial.print(0xFE, BYTE);