LCD problems with the LCD 1602

Hola a todos,

I ordered last an electronic brick starter kit as seen on the following link:

Here the PDF with tutorials:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/images/product/Electronic%20Bricks%20Vol1.1.pdf

So anyway I have following issue:
As far as I get you can use every arduino for this electronic brick starter kit. So I’m using my arduino uno. On page 16 there is a tutorial how to use this display with an example code:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h> // include a library headfile
// LiquidCrystal display with:
// rs on pin 10
// rw on pin 11
// enable on pin 12
// d4, d5, d6, d7 on pins 13, 14, 15, 16
LiquidCrystal lcd(10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16);
void setup()
{
    lcd.clear();//clears the LCD and positions the cursor in the upper-left corner
    lcd.print("hello, world!");// Print a message to the LCD.
    lcd.setCursor(2,1); // set to the 3th column and 2nd row
    lcd.print("Seeedstudio");// Print a message to the LCD.
}
void loop()
{
}

This snippet of code is using the LiquidCrystal class which is already included in the standard IDE download for arduino.
Unfortunately I get some weird effects by uploading. As you can see on those 2 pictures on the right side, one effect is that I can’t take a look direct on the display or else I just get a line of filled pixels so I have to watch it in a low angle to see SOME text. the second effect is the complete second line is missing! But by looking at the code

lcd.setCursor(2,1); // set to the 3th column and 2nd row
    lcd.print("Seeedstudio");// Print a message to the LCD.

Seeedstudio should be written on the second line!
On my last note I should say that I power my arduino with a standard usb cable but honestly I dont see any power problems, I rather believe this display is just broken. D:

Thanks in advance guys =D

regards, Soelen

The first issue is due to something going wrong with the 'contrast' input to the LCD. How have you got it wired up? Is there a potentiometer that you can adjust?

Well no, it's a Electronic Brick Chassis which you just plugin onto the Arduino As far as I can see it only provides a reset button. The display with its platine also only 2 switches For Backlight on off and Power on off D:

You connect this Brick with this 10 wire bus cable on BUS2, that's all what I did hardware technical.

I second the contrast issue, there should have been a pot or at least a diode for the contrast setting.

Also, you did not define the lcd you are using. lcd.begin(16, 2);

I have to compliment on your photographing skills. Best picture of the year for asking questions!!

You will need lcd.begin(16,2); to set the contrast correctly, assuming the unit was adjusted correctly at factory.

Next, lcd.setCursor(2,1); won't work if you miss lcd.begin since the library assumes it to be 16*1 before lcd.begin says something differently.

The Seeedstudio documentation at the link in the original post is dated 8/21/2009 which explains why any of their LCD code using the LiquidCrystal library does not mention the lcd.begin() statement. This statement was introduced with the LiquidCrystal library that was rewritten for Arduino v0017 and which came out after the Seeedstudio documentation was developed.

Don

After the best picture of the year here comes the best animation of the year!!!

Aw sorry Don I was just about to record this animation as you replied on this thread, thanks a lot to you too ^^ I'm going to post on the seeedstudio tech support forum to inform them it sure will confuse a lot of people if they dont update their pdf tutorial heh :P And sure it will be a direct link on your post, this just explains everything =D

Edit: http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2276

You're welcome! Best animation reply on my book!