LCD QVGA Arduino shield

I tested on atmega16/32 16 bit and 8 bit mode. use only #define to change mode.

ifdef LCD_8_BIT_MODE

define LCD_SET_DBH(x) LCD_HI_PORT = x; \

LCD_SET_LATCH(); \ LCD_CLR_LATCH();

else

define LCD_SET_DBH(x) LCD_HI_PORT = x

endif

It use more 2 instruction to latch hi value. Other is the same. speed is not difference so much. You can view code on www.circuitidea.com Font is convert to .h by font editor. You need to know. AVR have more power. Arduino is simply for every one. But it is 8 bit with 28 pin. Peti fatfs form chan is read only, single file system. But it take a little ram. elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_p.html Design idea - We want to use LCD TFT QVGA. It use data 16 pin and control 5 pin. to use with arduino or small avr. we add latch chip to go to 8 bit 8 pin. using write mode only drop read pin. and put reset pin to AVR reset. - Screen is not enough for application. We need more shield. But each shield design there own. It's hard to bundle to a project. - We need storage. we add SD card. - We write application. We found. We lost time keeper RTC. In new release we put it. Swap some pin for I2C port.

Hi whoami, thanks for checking the 16bit side of things. I know avr do better chips but my projects don't need anything better just yet :)

That all sounds pretty much like what is happening on the nokia shield, although its implemented into the pcf8833 controller, its supposed to be bi-directional for the data pin but as there is no real gain from reading from the lcd (apart from internal info) they just didn't implement it in the library. and like yourselves, on my nokia shield I know this thing will run on just a few pins + power, SS, CLK and MISO, backlight could be tied to +5 and reset just doesn't need to be attached either.

You could make it pin compatible with the shields but dont actually solder the pin headers, then its up to the user to decide whether they want it as a plain shield or something a bit more 'custom'.

This board use arduino pin addition 40 pin interface for other MCU. There are many lcd shield (nokia shield, s65 shield, BL-TFT240320PLUS shield). LCD TFT is the same. - need to init. - put pixel, line, rectangle is the same. may be same code. - font depend on font generator. Difference is screen interface(I2C, SPI, 8 bit, 16 bit), color deep, pixel and size. The large screen need more speed to paint. In the past I'm use S65 (not on arduino). It's use SPI mode. It take a time to draw full screen (132*176=23232). This module take nearly same time draw full screen (240x320=76800=23232*3.3). Testing on draw full screen image. Clear screen is too fast. done on inline function to take a low I/O resource.

screen 'clear' depends on the method used, same for filling too, circle fill was slow on the nokia 6100, screen fill was super fast. When are these screens going to come into stock?

First release was out of stock. New release come in 2 week. You can order or booking via our distributors. http://www.thaieasyelec.net/index.php/arduino/3-2-inch-tft-touch-screen-with-arduino-interface/p_68.html

Ok, I will be limiting spending over the next two weeks. No food! Ok, maybe not that much!

Mowcius

I have a birthday coming up, so I'll manage to squeeze one or 2 in I think :)

I have a birthday coming up, so I'll manage to squeeze one or 2 in I think

I'm not waiting til february for mine :D

Early christmas present for me!

Mowcius

Since my exhaust valve idea I’ve been thinking about more car stuff I could do. What about an S-Class instrument panel? Dials and information are all on an LCD TFT so that at night you can use nightvision to see the road more clearly. A friend is a security engineer so nightvision hardware is free (within reason) and on the same site as this I found http://www.thaieasyelec.net/index.php/display-module/tft-with-tp/7-inch-tft-touch-screen-display/p_11.html.
Its shown running on an Arduino so at least that is ok. Im wondering if having two modules would be smarter idea though so I can run all input information through one then “stream” it to the output module for display.

As for the linked screen those features do seem to overwhelm but you don’t have to use them all ;D

Im wondering if having two modules would be smarter idea though so I can run all input information through one then "stream" it to the output module for display.

That would rather strain one arduino, you may want to use 2 for that or look into a more powerful ARM processor - There are a few arduino/C++ compatible ones now.

Mowcius

I did mean two arduino modules not TFTs :D that would probably be less than 1fps but I've found a IR breakout camera for $35 which would be better than me trying to code one from scratch

oh ok :D I was a bit tired reading that. The ARM processors would still be a good option for this. I can see someone doing full screen 30fps touch screen video games on one of those chips...

Mowcius ;)

that doesn’t look like an arduino to me, looks like it has at least USB in and SD card support whatever it is, might be a board designed for that screen but doubtful that its arduino, the screen res is starting to get a bit high for what it can handle. Looking at things though only a stepup to one of the smaller arm cpu dev boards would do what you want.

that doesn't look like an arduino to me, looks like it has at least USB in and SD card support whatever it is, might be a board designed for that screen but doubtful that its arduino, the screen res is starting to get a bit high for what it can handle. Looking at things though only a stepup to one of the smaller arm cpu dev boards would do what you want.

Well if they ever come back in stock then we will all be able to tell you how well it works on an arduino ;)

The arduino would be fine for static images at that res and may be able to do animation just maybe not everything together.

Mowcius

updating text and simple 2d graphics should be ok, as long as you're not doing a full screen redraw (red on black for night vision).

http://www.thaieasyelec.net/index.php/arm/bluescreen-sun-lpc2478-with-4-3/7-inch-tft-touchtouch-screen/p_52.html Christmas has come early. Gotta find a spare dash instrument panel now ;D

What seems like a good camera http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8773

that camera doesn't look good for the unit you're looking at unless you're planning on integrating composite video in onto that dev board :) It's an anlaog camera.

this would probably be a better camera:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8667

you'll need the breakout board to go with it as well I would've thought.

Well the idea was to use the camera for IR nightvision like the S-Class. So I guess I gotta look for I2C connection IR camera, although there are many camera which have IR filters on them to stop glare so may be able to fiddle a normal.

I wouldn't worry so much about the IR side of things, as they are simply a set of IR LEDs and a photocell, you can add that later if you want, get the sensor with the resolution/comms. that you want as they are all sensitive to IR, just look at the provided lens, they come either with or without an IR filter on them, without is better suited to IR nightvision but poor for daylight images unless you adjust the white/color balance accordingly, otherwise it'll look pink in daylight if you choose a colour sensor.