LCD Screen Computer Science Project

So I am not going to beat around the bush. We are clueless.

We have been assigned a final project in our high school computer science class to create a project centered around an Arduino. We were able to create whatever we want for the projects as lng as it involves the Arduino and coding and does something relatively cool. My partner and I decided to do a coffee maker. We have successfully designed the motor and water bottle contraption to move liquid around, but we are seriously struggling to code the lcd screen to do what we want to do. We want to make it so our basic lcd screen allows us to select “ingredient” options (i.e espresso, milk, flavor, etc) and then disperse the liquid based off of seconds (i.e dispersing the liquid in a 10 second time frame) and then somehow connecting this to the motor so that it actually works.

First, is this even possible? Obviously, we do not want to spend time trying to figure out how to do something that wasn’t possible in the first place.

Second, our lcd screen has stopped printing words. Does anybody have any recommendations about setups and coding? We have been told by our teacher to google how to do it, but we have found ourselves a little overwhelmed. We eventually got it to work, but it has suddenly stopped printing words or doing anything except turning on.

Lastly, in the situation that it is possible, how do we go about connecting the lcd screen and motor so that it works the way we want it to?

Thanks so much and any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Wow!! For a first newbie project you have your work cut out. You need to look onto state machines. You will have to create a diagram of all the states and all the transitions between states. There are a lot of very good tutorials out there for this. Once you have done this write your code and then post it up for more help