lcd screen salvaged from vcr

I salvaged the lcd from a vcr that I would like to play with.

http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/391606/PTC/PT6315-S/177/3/PT6315-S.html

this is the data sheet for the driver chip that is on the same printed circuit as the lcd

I was wondering how I need to get started.. i am still noobie at arduino. all I want to use is the 5x 7 segment displays built into the lcd that used to show the clock. and I am planning on building my own arduino clock.

the lcd screen info is p/n tvfd150ft007 20u29100san sl futuaba

can I just start probing (1.5v?) the lcd for the 7 segment lcds that I want or should I start working on how to interface the driver chip with arduino? if it is too big of a hassle, I will just go to radioshack a buy 4x 7 segment displays and matrix them

and thanks all for the help!!!!

on the data sheet, I have found clk, dout, and din... I believe from other posts that these are the pins that I need to use to interface this display?

Does the display also have buttons on it as datasheet shows ability to interface 16x buttons to the chip? You will need 3 pins to transmit data to the display chip STB, DIN & CLK and a forth DOUT if your reading the keys attached to the display. It looks like SPI_MODE0 so using the SPI library will take a lot of the grunt work out of programming. Most everything else you need will be in the datasheet but it may be a lot of trial and error to determine how the display is wired up. First thing is to determine what type of display the chip is connected to...

Display Mode Settings: 0000: 4 digits, 12 segments 0011: 5 digits, 11 segments 0100: 6 digits, 10 segments 0101: 7 digits, 9 segments 0110: 8 digits, 8 segments

Maybe a picture will help here.

Is it lcd or vfd?

dhenry: Is it lcd or vfd?

I'm assuming the OP means VFD as the PT6315-S is a VFD driver.

yes it is a vacuum enclosed display. and there is only 1 button on the printed circuit. and it was labeled open close for the dvd player.

ps.. this was a dvd/ vcr combo unit

Riva:
Does the display also have buttons on it as datasheet shows ability to interface 16x buttons to the chip?
You will need 3 pins to transmit data to the display chip STB, DIN & CLK and a forth DOUT if your reading the keys attached to the display. It looks like SPI_MODE0 so using the SPI library will take a lot of the grunt work out of programming. Most everything else you need will be in the datasheet but it may be a lot of trial and error to determine how the display is wired up. First thing is to determine what type of display the chip is connected to…

Display Mode Settings:
0000: 4 digits, 12 segments
0011: 5 digits, 11 segments
0100: 6 digits, 10 segments
0101: 7 digits, 9 segments
0110: 8 digits, 8 segments

Maybe a picture will help here.

there are 5x 7 segments, and several other pertaining to the dvd, timmer, vcr, and it looks like 2 rows of leds, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom.

thank you riva for the help… you put me on the right path… you hinted me in the exact right direction.