LCD Shield buttons

Is it possible to use the lcd shield buttons on a separate button arrangment still using the same single input? I want to have the lcd shield mounted on the project box with 5 buttons to control up dwn left right select any insight would be very helpful

When you say "the" LCD shield, I'm guessing you mean this DFRobot one?

The buttons all go to A0 on the shield, so presumably if you have the shield not plugged in to the Arduino but loose so to speak (that is what you mean?), then just take a wire from the A0 on the shield to one of the Ax pins on the Arduino.

(But your question actually needs a bit of clarification: I may have misunderstood.)

Partly right I want to have just the LCD displaying and have the buttons in a diffrent place so have like remote buttons but wired into the Ax pin

The buttons are all wired to the A0 pin of the shield through a resistor network. It's the resistors that allow each button to give a different analog value so it knows which one is pressed.

Of course there's nothing to stop you creating a similar network with standalone buttons. The schematic at DFR should help.

JimboZA: The buttons are all wired to the A0 pin of the shield through a resistor network. It's the resistors that allow each button to give a different analog value so it knows which one is pressed.

Of course there's nothing to stop you creating a similar network with standalone buttons. The schematic at DFR should help.

Thats perfect jimboZA thanks very much

You aren’t limited to 5 buttons either.
But you shouldn’t expect to use an entire keyboard on a single analog pin.
I think about 8 buttons should be manageable.