LCD shield quick question

Hi
I got LCD shield that blocks few digital pins that I needed for the microphone and other bits of project, how can I have the shield on the top of arduino and still use the needed pins?

Thanks

too little information to give an answer, please provide more info like what lcd shield etc

Use jumper wires to connect your LCD shield (you only need to connect the pins it's actually using). This way the LCD shield doesn't have to sit directly on top of the arduino.

OR

Make up your own shield to connect to your microphone etc... and put this between your arduino and the LCD shield

OR

change the pins you are using for your microphone etc.. to some that are not covered by the LCD

OR

solder some wires to the LCD shield pads on the pins you want to use, these can then connect to your microphone etc..

You'll need to find out from the LCD's datasheet which pins it leaves over for you to use.

I, for example, have a dfr0009 which only leaves me with 2, 3, 11, 12 and 13 and A1-5.

I soldered headers on- the shield at least had the pins as holes so they were accessible.

But short answer is, it depends on your actual shield.

thanks guys

my shield is this one: http://www.freetronics.com/pages/16x2-lcd-shield-quickstart-guide#.VCZ4pxY4QwM

That’s basically same as the dfr0009.

The sample code says this…

LiquidCrystal lcd( 8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7 );

… so it uses 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. Probably also 10 for backlight. The schematic also shows it uses A0 for the buttons, same as dfr0009.

So the rest are all yours.

Looks to me from the pic that the pins with squares round them, are the ones it uses; I marked them yellow below. The ones in red circle are vacant, so you can use them.

But double check that… my markings may be wrong, should show you the idea.

lcd buttons.PNG