LCD with Arduino Due

Hello there,
I'm new to this forum and I hope that this is the right board for my question. I'm trying to get the LCD module EA DOGM163W-A working on my new(also first) Arduino Due. I tried wiring it up in 4 Pin Mode like suggested in the Playground, I also attempted to access the module in SPI(4 wire) mode. For SPI mode i used the library provided here: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. (someone here in the forums made it). I built the circuit on a breadboard by looking in the datasheet: http://www.lcd-module.de/eng/pdf/doma/dog-me.pdf You can have a look on my attachment! Comment: I am using 100 nF capacitors. 5 parallel = 0.5 uF and one single capacitor 0.1 uF like mentioned in the datasheet.
So my question is "simple": How do I get it to work? I could try to test with 5 V, but I'm afraid of hurting my Due. I'm in big despair!
Greetings
decrux

Photo
http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3112/von3aepe_jpg.htm

UPDATE: Standard Initialisation for 3.3V in 8 bit Mode on Page 7 in the Datasheet posted above is working. Finally i can see a blinking cursor. I'm very happy right now(took me one day to get to a cursor) :).
BUT why is the SPI library failing? Why can't I get it to work in 4 Bit mode like posted in the playground?

Help appreciated :slight_smile:

EDIT: Initializing the display manually(without library) in 8 bit Mode and then using the LiquidCrystal-library is working. SPI still fails me though.

Greetings
decrux

SPI is working now. All I had to do was to read the documentation of the library.

Question: How to modify existing LiquidCrystal Library to get EA DOGM163 working with 3.3 V in 8 bit oder 4 bit mode?

decrux:
SPI is working now. All I had to do was to read the documentation of the library.

Often the way!

Question: How to modify existing LiquidCrystal Library to get EA DOGM163 working with 3.3 V in 8 bit oder 4 bit mode?

Is it basically compatible? What differences have you noticed?

Hello,
thank you for your reply! What I have tested is the following: Initialize manually in the setup() for 8 bit Mode, then using the Liquid Crystal Library. This works. Maybe it would even work in 4 bit Mode if I knew how to initialize the display for that mode(not in the datasheet).
The SPI library I'm using is also referring to the Liquid Crystal Library for writing on the display, so the .print() etc functions are not the problem, neither is the display. The issue has to be the intialization, but where to find the procedure and how to adapt it to 4 bit mode?

EDIT: initializing manually looks like this:

pinMode(16, OUTPUT); pinMode(15, OUTPUT); pinMode(14, OUTPUT); 
pinMode(9, OUTPUT); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(7, OUTPUT); pinMode(6, OUTPUT); pinMode(5, OUTPUT); pinMode(4, OUTPUT); pinMode(3, OUTPUT); pinMode(2, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(14, LOW); 
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(16, LOW); digitalWrite(15, LOW);
digitalWrite(9, LOW); digitalWrite(8, LOW); digitalWrite(7, HIGH); digitalWrite(6, HIGH); digitalWrite(5, HIGH); digitalWrite(4, LOW); digitalWrite(3, LOW); digitalWrite(2, HIGH);
digitalWrite(14, HIGH); 
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(14, LOW); 
delay(1000);
to be continued...