Leaky AA Batteries

I am, yet again, faced with an electronic device filled with corrosive goo that has leaked out of Duracell AA batteries. There is a high probability the one-of-a-kind-hand-built device is headed for Silicon Heaven. I cannot put in words just how much I hate Duracell (Procter & Gamble).

For what it's worth, the Rayovac AA batteries I use have more energy, cost less, and have never leaked.

Thank you for the reply.

There are two drawbacks to acetone: 1. It is a solvent for some plastics; 2. It is sometimes adulterated with things that leave residue.

For battery goo, I typically use baking soda + water or mild soap + water (neutralize the battery acid), scrub well (toothbrush), rinse with fresh hot water, then blow off the water with compressed air. Soap + water worked well this time.

I am, yet again, faced with an electronic device filled with corrosive goo that has leaked out of Duracell AA batteries.

Don't they say that only a fool does the same thing twice but expects a different result the second time? :) :) :)

Weedpharma

weedpharma: Don't they say that only a fool does the same thing twice but expects a different result the second time?

:)

But a greater fool would blame the large / external without first investigating the small / internal.

For something like a battery there are three possibilities: 1. Operator error; 2. Manufacturing defect; 3. Systemic problem. I assumed: 1. The mistake was mine. I simply left dead batteries in the device too long. I will not do that again. I crossed that bridge some time ago. 2. That specific battery was defective. But, just in case, I will start using a different brand. I crossed that bridge some time ago. 3. The vendor is evil. I will never do business with them again. I crossed that bridge some time ago. Which leads me to today...

That device sometimes goes months between uses so it escaped my Duracell purge. Those were the last two Duracell batteries in the house. Never again will that dung cross my threshold.

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1466119552 link=msg=2803446] ... For battery goo, I typically use baking soda + water or mild soap + water (neutralize the battery acid), ..

[/quote]

If it is an alkaline battery, and not an old-fashioned zinc/carbon one, you might want to use vinegar instead of baking soda. Alkaline batteries use potassium hydroxide, a strong and corrosive base (think oven cleaner) as an electrolyte, and vinegar will help neutralize it.

Thank you for the reply.

microcat: If it is an alkaline battery...

Derp.

I have spent 100s of hours in a laboratory. At one time I could balance chemical equations in my head. How on earth did I get to mild soap + alkaline battery goo = good thing. I wonder what other nuggets have fallen out of my head.

(At least I got the baking soda correct.)

Sorry about the leakage, I hear it comes with age :wink:

OMG :o

@ Coding Badly

Just think about the problems you would have here ! !

9,648 AA Batteries

I've been having bad luck as well. I've been suspecting that "classic" batteries react badly to the continuous low-drain nature of electronic on/off switches.

(Alas, costco only sells duracells in C/D/9V)

westfw: I've been suspecting that "classic" batteries react badly to the continuous low-drain nature of electronic on/off switches.

Rayovac alkaline batteries have been working quite nicely with AVR power-down.

Unlike the other ones that leaked even with an actual off switch.

LarryD: Just think about the problems you would have here ! !

So many little time bombs! Noooooo!

I quit using duracells since your admonition a couple weeks ago. (Alas, I was given eight cells today :frowning: )

I bought a 100 pack of Frys.com aaa generics. So far, so good, and thirteen cents each.

Hmmm. They must've left them out in the sun or something. I find that frys batteries are equivalent to name brand.

Yes, and also Fry's typically keeps enough stock on hand for your Mercedes AA. It's pretty annoying to drive up to Dollar Tree with just a few amps left just to find they only have a few dozen packs of AA's hanging from pegs.