Learned Helplessness

There is a Veritassium video on Youtube named Learned Helplessness.

It's a heck of a watch and good explanation for the help me I can't do anything threads.

Ok, thanks for that, but now I can't decide whether to be enlightened or depressed! For years I have been wondering why there are so many people, in ever increasing numbers, who are helpless. I had no idea people are learning to be this way. Some of the people I encounter at work are shockingly helpless. I work in a technical job working with computers, and I encounter other workers who can't figure out stuff like a "no such file or directory" error. They just want me to tell them what is wrong with their command line to "solve the issue." No, I take it back, they want me to tell them what to type, verbatim. Sometimes I feel soon I will be the only one left in my entire city who can operate a toaster or tie a shoelace. OMG.

And by the way, I just thought of another thing. I had no trouble finding that video, it took about 5 seconds. People who have learned helplessness will not be able to find it without being given a link. Funny… or not so funny…

dmjlambert: They just want me to tell them what is wrong with their command line to "solve the issue." No, I take it back, they want me to tell them what to type, verbatim.

And in doing so they cast you as the oppressor, them as the victim, and reinforce their training.

Don't blame them but don't feed that either. Tell them there's a way out and the way is in the finding. Repeat that enough times (like the dogs) and you might get through. The payoff would be having help.

I learned long ago to keep trying. If I sift through 99 jerks to find 1 real friend, I won right there.

Hi, dmjlambert,

Sometimes I feel soon I will be the only one left in my entire city who can operate a toaster or tie a shoelace.

I can remember how to repair toasters, so if you need a hand.....as for shoelaces, sorry boots have laces but girl in safetyshop threaded and tied them for me, I just use the zip down the side.

Tom..... :)

GoForSmoke: for the help me I can't do anything threads.

I suspect people feel competent in some areas and not in others.

It is very easy for teachers (and I don't just mean those who are employed as teachers) to make a student feel like an idiot. Saying something is "simple" is a good way to do so - because it clearly isn't simple for the student.

On the other hand some people (most people?) never seem to have grasped the fact that their own brain can be used for thinking.

The video is interesting. But to my mind it is typical of people who are "successful" and can't understand that other people are not similarly successful and are never going to be successful.

Put bluntly, it is just impossible for everyone to be a millionaire as long as $1m represents a lot of wealth. Or, not everyone can be an actor - never mind a well-paid actor. You can only be a well-paid actor if the vast majority of people are content to eat popcorn and watch you.

...R

That video is not about lazy. The science quoted is clear about that.

It takes a lot to make hard-conditioning, neurons grown, the no-matter-what lessons being more than just being called "Bossy" and hurt feels. Imagine growing up as Melody's stooge, that might teach reluctance to a clinical depth.

Modern day conveniences, information at our fingertips, smartphones, texting, GPS ... it sadly conditions us to become more and more reliant on external sources for help, helps promote anti-social behaviour and isolate us from real experiences and nature.

With the vast sea of information on the internet, we have search engines at our disposal and I have this button at the bottom the screen trying to catch my attention

Most things remembered are from experiences, not from instructions or advice.

That "Ask me anything." button does not work! $&(;:*%#*Sh*t

LarryD:
That
“Ask me anything.”
button does not work! $&(;:*%#Sht

Heh, have to watch what you wish for. Had the microphone on by mistake … starts picking up conversation in the room … even from the TV, then starts searching for stuff!

dlloyd: Most things remembered are from experiences, not from instructions or advice.

That's why you're supposed to do the homework exercises.

What we remember, what we learn is ALL through the growth of neural connections. We literally are what we know.

Learned helplessness can be overcome. That makes the show relevant. Screw the blaming olympics.

GoForSmoke: I learned long ago to keep trying. If I sift through 99 jerks to find 1 real friend, I won right there.

Still sifting :)

GoForSmoke: What we remember, what we learn is ALL through the growth of neural connections. We literally are what we know.

How very true that is.

GoForSmoke: Learned helplessness can be overcome. That makes the show relevant. Screw the blaming olympics.

The other side of the coin ... is it really helplessness? Our brains continuously "evolve" and adapt in ways we don't yet understand. I think in some circumstances, we need to strive to understand rather than overcome.

This true story is really incredible ... At First Sight ... trailer

Robin2: On the other hand some people (most people?) never seem to have grasped the fact that their own brain can be used for thinking.

The video is interesting. But to my mind it is typical of people who are "successful" and can't understand that other people are not similarly successful and are never going to be successful.

...R

Succesful people generally strive for their success.

Many are plain lazy or criminal. Want everything on a plate. I see this particularly in the UK , not so much with Americans and refugees.

dlloyd: Most things remembered are from experiences, not from instructions or advice.

And spoonfeeding does not work.

Tell someone where to find a driver , they will come back with the same question next time they have the same problem.

Boardburner2: And spoonfeeding does not work.

I agree. If someone demonstrates the will to succeed, but has been struggling for whatever reason, well, sometimes I grab a shovel.

Boardburner2: Succesful people generally strive for their success.

That is a circular argument.

Personally I think they strive because they don't know any better / are not able to stop themselves and the rest of us call their "achievements" (mostly at our expense) success.

Of course the Alpha Males (and their female equivalents) are expert at presenting their "selfishness" as "for the good of the community". E.G you would all be poorer if I was not filthy rich.

...R

As an IT support tech, I preference to fix a problem then tell the user what the problem was. If it is user repairable, it saves me being needlessly called again and means they are not waiting until I can get to them.

Weedpharma

weedpharma: As an IT support tech, I preference to fix a problem then tell the user what the problem was. If it is user repairable, it saves me being needlessly called again and means they are not waiting until I can get to them.

Weedpharma

How often does that work ?

weedpharma: As an IT support tech, I preference to fix a problem then tell the user what the problem was. If it is user repairable, it saves me being needlessly called again and means they are not waiting until I can get to them.

Weedpharma

So the first thing you say is "Did you try turning it off and turning it back on again?"? (from The IT Crowd)

Actually I found the practice of taking notes and later going over them to be of great value. Just the act of putting it down by hand did quite a bit.