learning basic C stuff without running on a board

Hi,

I'm new to C although I have some limited experience with python.

I am finding there are two sides to the process of learning arduino - the hardware stuff and the pure C stuff (although of course they are intermingled). Sorry for the super noob question, but can anyone suggest a way to test my basic C logic without always uploading to a board and printing to the serial monitor?

For instance I am just getting to grips with the data types in C which are more finicky than I'm used to (I'm learning!), but right now I have to compile and upload to a board to do super basic experiments with how stuff works. With python I would just run stuff instantly in pyCharm until I understand how it works, but with the arduino IDE I have to constantly wait for the comile / uplaod time.

I'm aware that C is a compiled language and python interpreted, but curious, what would C / C++ devs use to test code? Is there something I can use to quickly test my logic?

Thanks

Here’s one simulator, not free but there’s others that are, though I’m not familiar.
http://virtronics.com.au/Simulator-for-Arduino.html

Turn off the “verify” option. That cuts your upload time in half. I’ve never seen anything fail verification in thousands of uploads.

Windows, Mac and Linux all have free C/C++ compilers. You can download one of them and do some C tutorials.