Learning to work with ESP8266 ESP-01

Hi there!

I'm trying to learn to work with this ESP-01 WiFi module.
However, I'm getting a little lost in all the tutorials.

To get started, I want to simply upload the blink sketch from this tutorial.

Using that tutorial I've connected the ESP-01 to my USB to TTL.
When I upload, the blue LED blinks (not the 'blink sketch' target LED, but the LED on the module), but I get these error messages:

error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

My questions:

• What 'board' and other settings should I choose under 'Tools'? I now chose 'Generic ESP8266 Module' and left everything else unchanged.
  • Or... could there be something else I'm doing wrong? What?
  • Any suggestions for easy to follow 'noob tutorials' with this module are welcome!
  • I also bought the ESP-05. Which one is easier to work (start?) with? Any good starter tutorials for that one are welcome too :slight_smile:

Extra information
Connecting the ESP-01 to my Arduino Uno ([this tutorial](http://Using this tutorial Getting Started with ESP8266 WiFi Transceiver (Review) | Random Nerd Tutorials)), at Baud 74880, I got this:

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x40100000, len 2408, room 16 
tail 8
chksum 0xe5
load 0x3ffe8000, len 776, room 0 
tail 8
chksum 0x84
load 0x3ffe8310, len 632, room 0 
tail 8
chksum 0xd8
csum 0xd8

2nd boot version : 1.6
  SPI Speed      : 40MHz
  SPI Mode       : QIO
  SPI Flash Size & Map: 8Mbit(512KB+512KB)
jump to run user1 @ 1000

rf cal sector: 249
rf[112] : 00
rf[113] : 00
rf[114] : 01

SDK ver: 2.0.0(5a875ba) compiled @ Aug  9 2016 15:12:27
phy ver: 1055, pp ver: 10.2

End goals
For now, first, I'd just like to learn the basics of how the module works.
But my (end-)goal, I guess, would be:

• Sending commands to Arduino's around the house with my phone (preferrably from anywhere in the world)
  • Read status of, for example, temperature sensors connected to Arduino's from my phone

If you want to experiment with ESP8266 I suggest that you look at a NodeMCU type board.
USB-TTL on board plus several open GPIO pins. An ESP8266 is capable of stand alone operation. It has a powerful processor and lots of memory. For many applications no Arduino is needed, just the ESP. The NodeMCU is capable of being programmed via the Arduino IDE.

ESP8266 beginner's guide.

When I upload, the blue LED blinks (not the 'blink sketch' target LED, but the LED on the module), but I get these error messages:

Did you put the ESP into programming mode by grounding GPIO0 while resetting the ESP?

Confirm.
Use some beginner friendly module like the Nodemcu or Wemos D1 and program directly the new microcontroler. If you have experience with the NodeMCU or Wemos D1, learn how to use the plain ESP8266 12E.

Did you put the ESP into programming mode by grounding GPIO0 while resetting the ESP?

Apparently I had not. This suggestion worked for me. Thanks!

Also thanks at both @groundFungus and @noiasca for your suggestions for NodeMCU and Wemos D1. A NodeMCU is on its way from China. But since that'll take a while, I'll keep experimenting with the beginners guide and the ESP-01 and ESP-05 in the meantime.

Any advise for other (relatively) easy starter tutorials for the ESP-01 or ESP-05 are still welcome :slight_smile: