LED dot matrix - can I do it?

Hi, So basically 100% to all this, don't own and never used an Arduino. I know some Python and the very very very basics of soldering/components etc.

Wanted to ask is Ardunio suited for what I want to do:

Have an SD card with numbers/letters. Want to display those numbers/letters one at a time on a screen (dot matrix or similar ). Ideally have this as a stand alone box.

Zero idea what parts I need, is the above do-able for a complete beginner like me? Is the idea even possible / best suited to Arduino ?

Do able , but I wouldn’t do it as my first project - you need to buy one and have a play with it , doing a few basic things ; then you’ll be fine

those numbers/letters one at a time on a screen

What sort of screen. LED, LCD? Size (height) of characters? How may characters? Size of matrix?

"What sort of screen. LED, LCD? Size (height) of characters? How may characters? Size of matrix?"

Just a small screen say around 5cm x 5cm, but I have nothing special in mind all just proof of concept at the moment once I see how things work can refine the idea.

Really just trying to find out how difficult this is going to be?

Really just trying to find out how difficult this is going to be?

Difficult is subjective. For a hobby like this then maybe the question is how much are you going to enjoy trying? What you want to do is perfectly possible and not stupid difficult. I totally agree with hammy though, buy an Arduino and start experimenting with it, do the basics, follow the tutorials. It doesn't cost much to get started, if you enjoy the experience then keep going towards your goal, if you hate it, take up knitting (or something) :confused: .

A LED matrix and a (LCD...) display makes a big difference. A display includes a controller for showing any graphics or characters, while a LED matrix comes without any such comfort.

If you want to go with the LED matrix, get a complete kit and use the also provided library for painting your characters.

You have a basic knowledge of programming, this is a leg up from many entering this hobby.

The Forums Sharks, are very knowledgable, and if you follow forum rules, you will find them some of the best teachers. But you have to have thick skin here.

Your project is not complex, but I agree with the others here. Get some stuff, have a play working some of the examples. You will know when you are ready.

If you do not mind fighting hardware while fighting software and love the challenge of learning, then this hobby will be fun. But if you do not like spending hours sorting little details, then time to take up fly fishing.

For a display in the 5cm range I would recommend one of the very common and cheap 2x16 or 4x20 character LCD displays. They aren't graphic displays but if you are displaying letters and digits you don't need graphics.