LED into a sphere (feseable?)

Dear Arduino community,

I am really new to Arduino, but I am planning to use it for experimental purposes.

What I would like to know is if what I want to do is feasible, and maybe get some suggestions on how to do it. I already looked at different tutorials, but still, I am not completely sure.

In the experiment I am planning, a transparent sphere/ball (5cm diameter) is on the table. A LED is in it, and when the LED turns to a specific color the participant has to perform a task, i.e. touch the sphere and lift it of 1cm (more or less).

I am designing now the sphere with the specificities I would need. But what about the LED, how can I put it into such a small sphere? What equipment also?

Furthermore, I hope it is possible to program with Python when to turn the LED on and to what color, but this should be feasible.

One more thing: the sphere will be more or less at 50cm from the participant. So the LED(s) has to be quite strong be visible at such a distance, in a room what will NOT be dark.

I hope you can help me :slight_smile:

how can I put it into such a small sphere?

A solid sphere? A hollow sphere? LED only? Or LED, power source, and Arduino?

I am attaching an image of the sphere (prototype yet). For illustration purposes, it is blue here, but it is gonna be transparent. It is empty inside. One hole, one of those at the bottom could be used to make the LED go into the sphere.

For what concerns the other features of the setup (LED only or power source as well), I do not know. I mean, the one that fits the best.

Screenshot_2019-04-11_14-11-26.png

If that's a 50 mm sphere getting an LED in there is the easy part. You can stuff a couple dozen LEDs in there. You can find toy balls that will flicker in all kinds of colours when bounced off the ground that would easily fit in there.

The hard part is doing something useful with that LED. For that you'll have to cram more stuff in there. Battery, microcontroller, sensor(s)... those things can be had really small, but not necessarily in the correct form factor for your project.

Thank you very much for your answer :slight_smile:

wvmarle:
If that’s a 50 mm sphere getting an LED in there is the easy part. You can stuff a couple dozen LEDs in there.

What kind of LED are you thinking about?

wvmarle:
The hard part is doing something useful with that LED. For that you’ll have to cram more stuff in there. Battery, microcontroller, sensor(s).

But is it possible to put just the LED inside and wire it to batteries and stuff outside of the sphere?

Does the sphere have to remain spherical, by which I mean if bits "stick out" and stop it rolling say, is that a problem?

What are your thoughts on getting the Python commands in.... wireless? or is it ok to have wires trailing around?

Thanks Neiklot

neiklot:
Does the sphere have to remain spherical, by which I mean if bits "stick out" and stop it rolling say, is that a problem?

I mean, the sphere has to remain spherical, but it does not have to roll. It will be fixed on a table. I do not know if I answered your question though.

neiklot:
What are your thoughts on getting the Python commands in.... wireless? or is it ok to have wires trailing around?

To control it in wireless would be great. But I´m not sure I will manage. To have some cables is still ok, definitely.

I was really just wondering if the sphere has to work like a ball, be able to roll around, so answer to that is no and it can have wires sticking out.

If the balls big enough you could fit a nano inside, with the usb cable into the ball for the Python commands.. Or, have the Arduino outside with just the led's wires into the ball.

Wireless of course means you need some wireless gizmo at the PC end as well as at the ball.

kobebest:
But is it possible to put just the LED inside and wire it to batteries and stuff outside of the sphere?

Of course. That’d be dead easy. Makes me wonder, have you ever actually seen an LED? How big do you think they are, really?

FYI the smallest ones are half the size of a grain of rice, if that big. You can easily put something like a dozen WS1812B LEDs into a 50mm sphere, and with just three wires coming out put up a pretty spectacular light show in there.